Friday, September 06, 2019

Childhood Issues



At first glance, I thought this April 1965 shot was taken at Knott’s Berry Farm. Very rarely do you see one of the Native Americans outside of the Indian Village at Disneyland. This was one of those rare cases, as the Frontier Trading Post and iconic Wooden Indian Statue are also clearly visible in the photo. The gent on the right seems incredulous, too. I obviously am not alone!



Just seven months later, my family visited Disneyland in honor of my oldest brother’s 8th birthday. I got stuck at home with Grandma. What a raw deal; no wonder I visited the Park so much in my adulthood!



Everything stems from those childhood issues!

As a follow-up to yesterday’s post, leave it to David from Gorillas Don’t Blog to know the answer about the mystery Fantasyland poster. He immediately contacted me with info AND images. The best!



The poster in your blog post is from a set of six litho posters (25" X 38") that were sold in the Park; I wasn't sure if they went on sale in 1965 or 1966, but your photo is from 1965, so that solves that.



I'm not sure I've ever seen another photo in which you could see one of these posters for sale!



I remember in my early poster collecting days, you could acquire the whole set of six for around $800 to $1000. Now they can fetch several thousand dollars EACH.



The Van Eaton auctions have had many of these posters for sale, sometimes referred to as "near attraction posters."





See more Disneyland Frontierland photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Great and unusual photo of the Indian in front of the Trading Post! Love those posters too, thanks Dave.

Matthew said...

Great discovery about those posters. Love seeing the family photo too... sorry about having to stay with Grandma. That really stinks!

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

JG said...

Stories from childhood are the best.

Thanks for the photos and the posters.

Especially like that last two, NOS and TL. Haven't seen the TL version before.

Thank you, Dave.

JG

Max said...

ily