Monday, December 10, 2018

Movie Studio Monday



Today’s post takes you on a tour of some of the biggest movie studios in Hollywood. These first two vintage shots from the 1950’s show Paramount Studios, beginning with a view of the Bronson Gate.



Here’s one I shot back in 2006 showing the Melrose Gate at Paramount. BTW: it's located on Melrose.



This Universal image from July 1974 just SCREAMS 70’s. The entrance signage could only exist in that decade. I think I smell polyester, too.



A September 1965 shot of the Universal City Studio Tours Tram. Universal is not only a studio; it’s a city, too! I wonder if Harry Potter is the mayor?



This shot was taken during the 1965 tour. A great overview of the backlot.



Here’s one I snapped in 2004, showing the Bates home. I believe Mother is in the window.



Welcome to Warner Brothers! Here’s the Gate 2 entrance:



Two images I took back in 2004 showing the backlot:





Let’s hop on over to Burbank to see the Disney Studio, featured in this June 1941 image with Walt surveying his property. I wonder if he’d still want his name associated with the current company?



The iconic street sign at the studio, with actor Farley Granger surrounded by two lovely ladies. Farley better watch that cig so that he doesn’t burn the lady on his right!



A 1958 shot of the Disney backlot which no longer exists:



How the animation building looked when I visited it a number of years ago. Almost like time stood still here.



Leo the Lion from MGM no longer roars here in Culver City. Sony & Columbia kicked him out years ago. However, many of the iconic buildings still exist from yesteryear, including the original front gate:



The Thalberg Building:



Stage 15, the largest on the lot and the fourth largest in the world:



...and the interior of Stage 15, which is where portions of “The Wizard of Oz” were filmed:



And finally, one 1954 image of RKO Studios:



You'll have to wait until Temple Tuesday for Fox Studios!

See more Hollywood photos at my main website.

1 comment:

Fifthrider said...

All very cool shots, thank you. I never thought I'd look at shots from my childhood and think of them as "vintage" but those Universal signs and trams sure look familiar.

I can't find the exact quote but I seem to recall Walt saying something to the effect of "I used to be Walt Disney but not anymore." Something to the effect that it had all gotten bigger than him. It was his precursor statement to today's Disney corporation, IMHO.