Friday, September 23, 2011

Nature's Wonderland Area Construction, April 1960



More photos from the 1960 upgrade to Nature's Wonderland as well as the creation of the long-gone Cascade Peak (what was that about steel vs. wood, Stu?).





In this July 1965 comparison shot, you can see that the previous rock work is for the Pack Mule trail, another casualty of progress.





The finished rock work was pretty spectacular; here's a September 1963 view:



Today, there are still remnants of some of this rock work if you look carefully around Big Thunder Ranch.











I think I can hear the Pack Mules now!

See more vintage Nature's Wonderland at Disneyland photos on my Nature's Wonderland web page.

5 comments:

Oswald The Lucky Rabbit said...

This is so beautiful! Wish I were alive to experience that first-hand

Major Pepperidge said...

Nice photos, both old and new.

JG said...

I can hear the music by Grofe' now.

Thanks for the comparison shots, Dave. We did not venture into Big Thunder Ranch. If I had known the old rocks were still there, I might have taken a peek.

More to do next time.

JG

stu29573 said...

Great photos! I really loved this area!

As far as steel and wood goes, I have only to look in my back yard at my rotting fence to tell you: wood bad- steel good!

Paul M. Carhart said...

Oswald: You're not alive?