Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Disneyland December 1962, Pt. 3



Today we transfer from the Mark Twain to the Columbia, with some fun shots of the deck and crew on the Floating Skillet (take a ride on the Columbia in the middle of the summer and you'll know where the nickname comes from).







There’s nothing for a little kid (or heck, even most adults) like the feeling of discovery and exploration. Fort Wilderness used to give that thrill in spades, as you can see by this cool sign that leads little tots to a secret tunnel.



Here’s a jarring jump forward in time as our family of photographers takes a ride over Tomorrowland in a Skyway bucket.





“New Tomorrowland” was still about 5 years away when these photos were taken.

See more Disneyland Columbia photos at my main website.

4 comments:

stu29573 said...

Of course WDW still has their fort and escape tunnel. When I was there in November, I went through and it was...gasp..lighted! I never remember it having lights before. What a bummer!

Major Pepperidge said...

What kid wouldn't want a fort with a secret escape tunnel??

Connie Moreno said...

Wow, such cool photos! I love the "Floating Skillet"! LOL!! And yes, it's true.

Love the kids in the fort...and those cameras!!

Those Skyway pictures are magic and that hat!!! I had forgotten how much I wanted one of those hats!!!

JG said...

When I build my secret fortress hideaway, the escape tunnel will not have lights.

JG