Monday, August 12, 2024

Monday with Mansfield: The Carrousel



As long-time Daveland readers know, actress Jayne Mansfield’s May 11, 1957 Disneyland visit was well documented. I have been fortunate enough to acquire yet another shot from that day. Obviously a night-time shot, it is chilly enough that Jayne is now wearing her mink coat as she is assisted up on the King Arthur’s Carrousel horse by then husband, bodybuilder Mickey Hargitay. Daughter Jayne Marie Mansfield is barely visible behind the pole at left.

I attempted to see if I had any other matching shots of the horses in my collection. It was a challenge, but here’s one from September 1969. I wonder if the little girl wearing the gold outfit knows she is sitting where Jayne once sat. Probably not.



I THINK this horse I photographed in March 2012 is the one that Jayne Marie is sitting on (obviously repainted and bedazzled). Anybody with more patience is welcome to do the sleuthing for me!



How about that souvenir bag that Mickey is clutching for Jayne?



It uses the iconography from the Disneyland TV show that helped make the Park possible! Here’s a color shot of it from Dan Cunningham’s collection:



Earlier in the day, there was no need for a fur coat as Jayne signed autographs for young guests in front of the Carrousel.



See more Jayne Mansfield at Disneyland photos at my main website.

No comments: