Sunday, April 07, 2024

The Purple Trash Can



Although it doesn’t show the Fantasia mural, I still yelped when I saw this interior shot of the Welch’s Juice Bar in Fantasyland from March 1965. Pluto poses with these two chaps (Doug on the left, can’t read the name on the hat for the boy on the right) who can’t wait to have a 15¢ Welch’s Frozen Grape Bar! Note the themed purple bullet-style trash cans on the right and the left. I’m assuming the “W” visible on the left can is for “Welch’s. That’s a pretty safe bet! This little refreshment shop was where Pinocchio’s Daring Journey is currently located.



Zooming in to this August 1964 shot you can see the exterior:



See more Disneyland Fantasyland photos at my main website.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always impressed with your attention to detail Dave. We always stopped-in to get a juice bar on warm days. The bars being concord grape in purple. Of course being young, I thought at the that was the only variety of grape. KS

Daveland said...

Thanks, KS! I don't recall this stand at Disneyland (I was too young!), but I do remember the Welch's Grape Juice concessions at WDW, where I got hooked on WHITE grape juice!!

"Lou and Sue" said...

Dave, what a fun detail and discovery - the purple trash can! There's a few of us who love watching for the trash cans, especially in vintage shots.