Thursday, September 30, 2021

Disneyland Tour, July 1958: Part 1



Imagine a visit to Disneyland in Anaheim with no Matterhorn. No Monorail. No Submarine Voyage (and mercifully without Nemo). Welcome to Disneyland, circa July 1958. Thanks to a batch of slides I recently acquired, I am able to give a fairly comprehensive tour of the Park by adding in images already in the Daveland archives. Today, we start outside the gate. Got a dog? How about boarding them at Ken-L-Land?



Back when the ticket booths were steps away from the gate:



I spot a Guide Book salesman in a straw hat:



Don't go into shock when you see the 1958 Park prices:



At the Main Street Train Station, the Disneyland population is showing up as 10,000,000 (versus 650,000,000 back in 2016).



One of my favorite things about arrival when the Park first opens is to see the train pull into the station. That sense of the excitement of catching the first train for the Grand Circle Tour around the Park is wonderful!



Note the names on the passenger cars; this one is Land of Pueblos:



An interior view of one of the passenger cars:



More to come; we’ve just barely begun our tour!

See more photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Fifthrider said...

Things like this literally carry me through a day. We had a dog that stayed at Ken-L-Land once, I remember my visit there well. Clean, no frills, nothing objectionable nor noteworthy. Those passenger cars are amazing but due to low seating capacity (and so much opportunity for vandalism) I can see why those couldn't be used today. Look at those green seats. What do you suppose that is? I'm not sure if naugahyde or vinyl existed in 58 but I don't see Roy approving the expense of leather either.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely board them at Ken-L-Land. I believe it was 25 cents for a stay of your beloved pet, 50 cents if it included a can of food. My aunt and uncle used it for their poodle when they visited us. Seemed nice and clean...and air conditioned. Plus there was lots of windows so you could see you pet...and all the others...inside being cared for. KS