Monday, September 06, 2021

Open The Gates!


This October 1959 image of the Frontierland Gates made me think of the old nursery rhyme: Here's the church and here's the steeple. Open the door and see all the people. My compulsive collecting gene kicked into overdrive when I realized I didn’t have a good shot of the Frontierland entrance from 1959, so I had to acquire this one. Zooming in, you can see that the Pendleton Shop on the left and the Mark Twain riverboat and Columbia sailing ship double-parked at the dock.


Another previously posted shot from my collection circa 10/59 shows the OTHER side of the gate:


One month later, a guest captured another guest taking a photo of the gate in November 1959:


Is that a movie camera or a still camera? Either way, it would be great to see the footage from that day.


This March 1968 shot is probably the best vintage one I have of the original sign that hung inside the gate (which I assume is what the 1959 gent was trying to capture):



…and how it looked when I last photographed it in 2015:


Looks like the text stayed the same.

See more Disneyland Frontierland photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Fifthrider said...

I'm surprised they kept the verbiage on the sign the same. I would actually expect them to keep it the same, but lately many parks have been rewording things to fit more contemporary language.

Ditto on that camera. He's holding it like he's filming motion but I' don't think smaller (more cartridge based) cameras like that existed until Super 8 was invented in '65. No clue.

So weird to see all those trees as saplings, not the giant firs they've grown into today.

Nanook said...

Dave-

Of course it can't be stated with one hundred percent accuracy, but that camera could easily be an (8mm) Kodak #225 Brownie Movie Camera - w/3-lens turret.

Another great series of images. Thanks.