Monday, July 12, 2021

Monday on Sunset Boulevard, 1986


Another case of close, closer, and closest with this August 1986 shot of Sunset Boulevard, aka The Strip. Zooming in I can see my favorite haunt, The Chateau Marmont hotel. Bottom left is a billboard for “Howard the Duck,” one of the most notorious box office flops of all time:


I was staying in Westwood at the time it was released and captured the UCLA billboard up close:


Back to the original photo, the lower left shows Carney’s Restaurant, located inside a yellow Union Pacific rail car that opened in 1975.


A contemporary shot of Carney’s:


On the right side of today’s 1986 shot, the historic Schwab’s pharmacy is still standing:


How it looked in the 1940’s:


And how this area looks now, as the original building was replaced with this shopping center:


See more Sunset Boulevard photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Fifthrider said...

I love posts like this. I understand that times change and a property needs to retool to make money, but no one will every write about CB2 plaza, but they will always remember Schwabs. Carney's looks like a great place to visit as well. The Marmont looks majestic like L.A.'s only palace surveying it's kingdom.

Daveland said...

Bryan - We are kindred spirits. I love doing my "then and now" posts.