Friday, July 23, 2021

Comment Gold from Adventureland


While I may not get a ton of comments on my blog, the ones that are typically left here are gold in my opinion. One of my most faithful readers (and a former DL Cast Member) is KS. When he saw yesterday’s 1968 Adventureland photo, he noticed the staircase hidden away in this detailed view (above). Below, you can see a contemporary shot of the same area, sans guests. Just the way I like it!


Here are KS’s memories of that staircase:

Back then and into the 70s at least while working the Jungle Cruise, we could go up the staircase and sit above the Bazaar to take a break...or use the room adjacent off to the right of the picture. We could see the boats passing by and know when our boat was coming back to the dock to restart our rotation. Called it JUBA...or Jungle Upstairs Break Area. Last time I was in the park, I found the gate to the staircase is now locked. It's now just a memory.

And what about the shooting gallery off to the left? Looks like it was a slow day so it was closed (see photo below).


Here’s a closer look at the (now) locked gate:


And a better view of the second floor:


Many thanks to KS for the “comment gold”—keep it coming!

See more Disneyland Adventureland photos at my main website.

4 comments:

"Lou and Sue" said...

Dave, I agree...KS's comments are GOLD! His sinking skiff story is one of THE BEST! I LOVE seeing Disneyland through a Cast Member's eyes.

Nanook said...

Another vote for KS's comments. First, these CM's were a part of providing 'the magic' that contributed to Guests' joy of Disneyland in the first place; and now [a few] are continuing the joy with insights to DL that only they know.

Thank you KS for voluntarily stepping up to the plate. And thank you Dave for providing the forum (dotted with great images-!) to make it happen.

Anonymous said...

Thanks folks. I wish I could just winnow my way into those pictures to relive the times just once more. Many of my coworkers are friends through social media now but a few are gone so a reminder of the past is always a bit bittersweet. Sitting upstairs I could hear their spiels and the sound of the boats passing by the Unload position.

A gate was always at the platform. It just didn't have a lock in it back when. In some respects guests could be trusted to know the areas they were allowed to be in. Times have changed. KS

Anonymous said...

Dave and KS, many thanks for these posts and comments. These make old Disneyland come back to life for me, and that's enough.

JG