Monday, April 29, 2024

Monday Mystery at Fowler's Harbor



Based on the size of the landscaping and the Gullywhumper Keel Boat, this shot of Fowler’s Harbor is from somewhere between December 1955 and…?



The Gullywhumper baffles me; the design of this one is different from the one in most of the shots from my collection. The railings on top look like straight beams, whereas in this March 1957 they have been replaced with oars. Perhaps the one in my shot, showing the word “Pittsburgh” on the front, was an early version or prototype.



Back to the original image for today’s post. The bigger mystery is what the heck is this large cylindrical object being worked on? Was it construction for the Disneyland Railroad tunnel?



By June 1959 (image below), the front shack seen above had been removed.



Bueller? Bueller?

See more Disneyland Fowler's Harbor photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be my guess. It's the RR tunnel for the train. Until the development of Splash Mountain, there was a transition berm between the Indian Village/Bear Country and the Mansion. There was also a pedestrian tunnel connecting the two as well. I went through it daily during the summer while working the canoes. KS

Darryl said...

I would also say tunnel. Your photo " KTPBK_DLRR_50s_N37R.jpg " under DLR-Frontierland-50-70 shows that tunnel.