Friday, February 26, 2010

Freaky Fridays @ The Haunted Mansion: NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY!



If you’ve ever wondered why you are admonished not to use “Flash Photography” while in your Doombuggy, this photo shows the perfect reason why you should listen (except for those of us taking photos to document the ride for posterity, of course). This tree near the cemetery does not look quite so scary when seen in the harsh light of a camera flash. Almost looks like a home craft project you’d make with tin foil. Just goes to show how much of an important part lighting plays in the total effect of this attraction (and many others).

Presenting the iconic caretaker from the graveyard scene:



Here’s the first photo of the Cemetery Caretaker that Disney released to the public on August 21, 1969. Compare with this contemporary shot:





Here are a few I took without my flash; MUCH more atmospheric:





I missed the first year of the Haunted Mansion NBC overlay, but made it for the 2nd season. I took this photo in January 2003 of the Caretaker, who was hanging out at the Disney Gallery while his home was being invaded by Jack Skellington & Co.



See more Disneyland Haunted Mansion photos at my website.

8 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

Wow Dave - those non-flash shots of the caretaker are really beautiful. You're quite talented with that camera!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Awesome shots! Wow that tree looks really cheap when "Flashed"!

The Caretaker looks the same as he did in 1969!

Why does the Caretaker look like he's 8 feet tall in your last photo, is he that big?

Connie Moreno said...

Oh very, VERY cool!!!

~j said...

too funny...I just did a post of Haunted Mansion pics (without flash). I got a new camera and that's where I tested it..

your pics are beautiful...I still have trouble catching the caretaker. Guess I'll have to keep going back to practice.

Daveland said...

Jill - The more you ride, the better your photos become; especially when the attraction stops for somebody in a wheelchair to be loaded!

Tim - He looks bigger because I was shooting upwards; he was on a pedestal in the Disney Gallery.

Chiana_Chat said...

Love the non-flash pics, best I've seen actually.

Are they going to do the Nightmare Before Christmas repurposing thing again this year? I'd like to go some Holloween and actually see the Haunted Mansion.

Daveland said...

Chiana - I actually liked the Nightmare overlay the first time I saw it; unfortunately, I don't think it bears repeated viewings. After a few ride-throughs, it shows up for what it is...an overlay. Not really a lot of depth or heart to it. It does seem to have its fans though as many look forward to it. So....it appears to be an annual tradition.

Terrance T said...

I have attempted and attempted to take non-flash photos of The Haunted Mansion using a tripod but my pictures either turned out grainy for using 400 or blurry on auto and mind you, I am using a 8 mp digital camera. I don't know how you managed to capture photos so beautifully with ease but keep up the great work!