Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Early 1950’s Black & White, pt. 1: Black Bart!



After yesterday’s post, I figured we'd stick around Frontierland for a little while longer. Unfortunately, it looks like we’ve encountered a heap of trouble—it’s Black Bart! Well, maybe he's not as dangerous as he looks...he's probably just a big ol' ham. Even Sheriff Lucky on the right seems to be amused at him mugging it up for the guest snapping this photo. These negatives were undated, but most likely they are from 1955 or thereabouts. Some of the other shots in this series may be from a year or so later...hard to tell if all these negatives were actually related. I just take what I can get, folks!

Everyone seems a little bit more serious in this photo:



See more Disneyland Frontierland photos at my website.

6 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

That bottom pic is scarily authentic... I'd be careful mozeyin' up to them.

Snow White Archive said...

Just found your blog and became a follower! Nice work Dave.

Snow White sends her regards.

Major Pepperidge said...

I wonder how long this Black Bart actor worked at the park? I don't think it could have been for more than four or five years at the most.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Was this the only guy to play Black Bart? I've only seen him play the part and like Major said, not for very long. He sure looks wacked out of his mind, in fact, he looks like that in every photo I've seen of him.

Is he in some vintage film footage with a shoot-out in and around Rainbow Ridge? I seem to recall him hiding behind the little buildings and throwing off the "scale" of the buildings...

TokyoMagic! said...

I remember seeing that footage too. I just don't remember if it was Black Bart or not. It was a shoot-out and the villain hid behind the smaller buildings that were up on the hill...majorly throwing off the scale.

Unknown said...

There's another photo of him from 1957 over at Main Gate Admission