Wednesday, October 26, 2022

The Haunted Mansion for Halloween, Pt. 1



Halloween is right around the corner, and what better way to celebrate than a tour of the Disneyland Haunted Mansion? Back in 1978, I determined that the best time to visit the Mansion was at night, so that’s exactly what I’m going to do here.



The myths about this hearse abound, including that it carried the body of Mormon Leader Brigham Young. Apparently there is proof that no hearse was used for Young’s funeral, so there goes that legend.



Either way, it’s still a cool historical prop. I haven’t been to the Park in almost six years, so I assume this reservation sign has been replaced with a QR code.



As you enter the lobby, you have many things to see.



Look up and you’ll see a dusty chandelier:



Look down and see the cobweb inspired hardwood floor:



Once you enter the stretching elevator, this fiendish little ghoul greets you:



A face only his mother could love.



I realized in doing this post that I only have photos of the elevator fully stretched. Another to-do list item if/when I return.



The hanging man in the elevator. This was always one of my favorite touches...other than the crazy guests who feel the need to scream as loud as possible once they see it. I could do without that.



More of our Haunted Mansion tour to come!

See more Disneyland Haunted Mansion photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

"...so I assume this reservation sign has been replaced with a QR code."

I was drinking when I read that. I don't know why I found that so funny, all I know is I'm cleaning up coffee right now. Thanks. In the absence of that happenning, my runner-up choices are that the hearse has been turned into a popcorn cart or a souvenir stand. Also, thanks for the reminder that I need to order wallpaper. I have samples of the entry foyer wallpaper tacked up to the wall in one of my rooms. Thanks to Bob Gurr signing autographed samples of that wallpaper, i was able to find out what to order.

Anonymous said...

Just how did you get these pictures without a hoard of guests standing in line? KS

Daveland said...

Bryan - I should post a coffee warning - sorry! Ha!

KS - A lot of patience and planning! And repeat riding.

"Lou and Sue" said...

Dave, these are fun photos! I love the green lighting in the hearse.

Your chandelier photo reminds me of the large chandelier pictures (sometimes with glitter on them) that have been popular for the last few years - except yours is perfect for Halloween. You have a top seller!

Am looking forward to seeing more . . .

Sue