Monday, October 17, 2022

Holiday in Fantasyland, 1963



It’s December 1963, and my favorite feather hat gal’s daughter is meeting Pluto! In the background, you can see the Mad Hatter Shop. The detail shot below features the back of a Disneyland Tour Guide and two guests eating a DELICIOUS frozen treat from the Welch’s Grape Juice stand.



THIS feathered hat is even more spectacular. I think she wins the prize. Pluto thinks so, too.



Soaring high over Fantasyland on Dumbo, NOBODY’S feathered hat is safe. Hold on tight!



Moving a little further into the depths of Fantasyland we have STORY BOOK LAND! And of course Casey Jr., my favorite little circus train.



A rare shot of one of the Windmills:



The last two for the day show the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant:



…and what I probably miss the most about Disneyland of yore: Skull Rock Cove.



See more vintage Disneyland photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

This post is a gold mine for us feathered hat enthusiasts! I would be way too afraid of losing my hat to wave it from a soaring elephant. I wonder why those two ladies are sporting corsages.

I know the little girl is just clutching her skirt with excitement, but it looks like she's about to curtsy to Pluto, which would be adorable.

All that windmill needs is a horde of tiny villagers with miniature pitchforks and torches.

Daveland said...

Melissa - I wondered about the corsages, too. Maybe for Christmas? Both seem holiday oriented in design. And now I'll never get the thought of "Frankenstein" out of my head when I see those windmills! Wouldn't that be a great Halloween overlay?

Fifthrider said...

I like how Melissa thinks. Angry Villagers with torches and pitchforks seems appropriate. ( and a tiny Bob Chapek at the top of the Windmill. ) I will ALWAYS agree about how cool Skull Rock was, and how much I miss it

I can't help but to focus on the rockwork of old Fantasyland. When new Fantasyland opened a lot of us walked in there, looked around, and swore it always looked like that. I think I see why, now. Those corners where the magic shop used to be and where the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique now sits were there from the start? I never noticed that.

Anonymous said...

I have a framed 1968 map on the wall of my office and my eyes just naturally go to the striped sails of the Pirate Ship and Skull rock. It was a terrible loss, alright.

Anonymous said...

Skull rock was the centerpiece of the old Fantasyland. Standing behind the falls on a hot day was such a treat...and a relief...no matter how sticky you might have felt after you dried off! KS