Tuesday, October 25, 2022

R.I.P, Beverly Leslie



I was saddened to hear yesterday that actor/comedian Leslie Jordan died in a car crash at the age of 67. He was one of those comically gifted performers that could take any line (or word for that matter) and make it funny. I saw him perform a number of times, including a solo stand-up show, where he kept the audiences laughing with his hilarious (and very candid) personal stories. Here he is with Del Shores, director and writer, who cast Jordan in the memorable part of Brother Boy in the film “Sordid Lives.” 



One of my favorite memories of Leslie Jordan took place on Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood. It was about ten years ago and Jordan was holding court inside Starbucks, entertaining a group of men while he was perched high on a stool. I was waiting outside for my friend to get his coffee, and noticed that Jordan had hopped off the stool and was exiting Starbucks. Although I had my camera with me, I didn’t really think it appropriate to take a photo of him. However…as he sashayed down Santa Monica Boulevard, I noticed that he just happened to be walking towards the billboard overhead advertising “The Hobbit.” Sadly, by the time I got the camera setup the moment had passed and he was gone. Almost…

Jordan will probably be best remembered as Beverly Leslie in “Will & Grace.” The scenes where Beverly and Karen Walker (Megan Mullally) sparred with each other were comic gold. They were the wickedly sinful dessert for a not-so-bad dinner, always leaving you wanting more. Here is a medley of some of their best scenes:



See more Movie and TV photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Fifthrider said...

Well I am truly sorry. I don't know what else to say. He brought laughter to millions and I think he knew that. I hope so.

Anonymous said...

He was truly both a great wit and wickedly charming at the same time. KS