Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Melissa on the West Coast, Pt. 1



Melissa (aka “The Colonel”) made her annual trek to California last month, so the next few posts will be documenting our Southern California tour. I felt like Willy Wonka:

So much time and so little to do. Strike that…reverse it!

Before she arrived, I had to get the house cleaned up (well, as clean as I could get it!) and the car washed. There was a heavy buildup of Willis “love” (aka dog hair).



When Melissa comes to the Coast, she knows to pay tribute to Mr. Willis. This time it was a pineapple toy that he immediately went to work on:



Why is Willis smiling in this photo? Because as soon as Melissa unpacked, we walked down to Station Tavern in South Park, where the best tater tots in the world can be savored.



The object of his desire:



Are they as delicious as they look? Heck yes!



There was no time to rest after lunch; I had some gift cards to blow through, so Melissa and I drove off to the San Diego Trolley. On the way, we saw an interesting rainbow overhead. Instead of the typical arch, this one was a streak of color:



So far, so good. Waiting at the station for the trolley:



Here is movie scene recreation #1; can you name the movie?



I was in very bad need of some new jeans, and a (now former) friend recommended Marshall’s. I’d never shopped there before. My face says it all. I’m not a fan of stretch jeans...or Marshall’s. I won’t be going back.



Back at home, I got the iron ready for Melissa. She was anxious to try my new built-in cabinet. Can you believe she didn’t even offer to iron MY clothes? If you know Melissa, yes…you can believe it.



Dinner was at Lousiana Purchase, one of my favorite restaurants in San Diego. Caution: this is not the type of place you will dine at and feel like doing any rigorous activity afterwards. The term “comfort food” doesn’t even cover it. The cajun inspired menu is just incredible.



Dinner there MUST start with the garlic cheddar cheese biscuits.



Just in case you need a closeup. They are served with strawberry jam and honey butter. I’m starting to drool at the memory.



We agreed to skip the Ooey Gooey “Better Than Sex” Cake and opted to go to the recently opened Handel’s Ice Cream location in Hillcrest.



Orange Dreamsicle for Melissa and Key Lime Pie for me.



It was early to bed and early to rise, as Palm Springs was on the itinerary for day 2.

See more Daveland photos at my main website.

No comments: