Friday, February 10, 2023

Welcome to Pioneertown!



My welcome email from the Joshua Tree Inn mentioned Pioneertown as a place of interest to check out. I’d never heard of it, but just the name alone piqued my curiousity.



Pioneertown is eleven miles from Joshua Tree State Park. The historic town was originally incorporated in 1946 when actor Dick Curtis was inspired to create a “living breathing movie set.” Curtis, who towered at 6'3", appeared with the Three Stooges (typically playing a villains) and in a number of “Lone Ranger” TV episodes. Teaming up with fellow actor/friend Russell Hayden, the two set out to create Pioneertown, which was also done in partnership with Roy Rogers. More than 50 films and serials were filmed in Pioneertown during the 1940's and 1950's. Gene Autry filmed his weekly TV show here for five years, using the exterior buildings as part of his film set.



It is a mix of Calico, Ghost Town at Knott’s Berry Farm, and what the average person imagines the old west to look like.



I found it to be charming, and a place I would like to visit when it is actually open and functioning. When Willis and I stopped here, it was early in the morning, the temperature outside was barely 40 degrees, and the wind was stirring up the tumbleweeds.





Plenty of interesting details to peruse:



Humorous touches abound:











Curtis died in 1952 at age 49. His final appearance with the Three Stooges was as Shemp Howard’s dental patient in “The Tooth Will Out” (1951).



He is buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, California. Guess where I need to go next?

See more photos at my main website.

1 comment:

Fifthrider said...

LOL,
"Are you comfortable?"
"No."
"Who asked ya?"

Thanks for including the link w/ Dick Curtis. He dwarfed everyone else in that clip. What an impressive western town. The wood looks fresh, nothing seems to be in disrepair. The roof interior inside the blacksmith looks brand new. I love the touch of (what I perceive to be) bullets shot into the door of the bank. Maybe that's a bolt pattern? I can't tell.