Wednesday, November 02, 2022

The Frito Kid



There are very few vintage Disneyland images that cause this jaded guy to get excited anymore, but this one was an exception! I was VERY happy to add a shot of the Frito Kid vending machine at the Casa de Fritos restaurant in Frontierland. Originally located on New Orleans Street, the Kid moved to the location shown here in 1957. The Gonzalez Trio are entertaining guests in front of the entrance.



This is almost like an advertisement: the little boy eating a bag of Fritos outside the restaurant while he enjoys the Gonzalez Trio.



While I do know that the Frito Kid moved to this location in 1957, I don’t know what happened to him. Anyone?

See more Disneyland Casa de Fritos photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Bryan said...

Likewise. Nobody seems to know what happened to it after that. The few times that I have heard the Frito kid referred to in any Disney history book it pretty much ends there. I've never heard any mention of it going back to Frito and displayed in their Lobby or any other place of reference. Disney epherma has little value back then. It was probably discarded. I'll let you know if I find anything.

DBenson said...

I do remember he was set up in front of a mountain scene featuring a mine with a chute. When you deposited a dime or nickel in a slot the kid would call to somebody in the mine to send a bag of Fritos (no movement, just voices) and one would slide down the chute. I was impressed, but being a grade schooler in the early 1960s I was impressed by any vending machine technology.

Melissa said...

That picture is a real gem. The little feller in his argyle socks is tuckered out from his adventures, but he's enjoying the song almost as much as the trio is enjoying singing it.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic slice of life picture! I really wish someone could tell us what happened to The Kid. I think that should be the only way to get Fritos, down a chute from FtK. The might sell less, but the quality of each sale would be so much more!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to me how a simple picture can bring back a memory from long ago. I remember that vending machine and the Fritos package for me to eat. That could have been me in the picture, but its not. Wow. What a find. KS