Thursday, November 10, 2022

On The Town: Iroquois Hotel



Two things got me hooked me on actor James Dean: the biography The Mutant King by David Dalton and my multiple trips Fairmount, Indiana, where he grew up on his Aunt and Uncle’s farm. This famous shot of Dean by Dennis Stock shows him in Times Square on a very rainy day, circa 1955. Nearby is the Iroquois Hotel, where the struggling young actor lived from 1951-1953 when he first arrived in New York City. Naturally, it has been on my bucket list, and on my whirlwind “On The Town” visit, I was able to check it off my list.



The Midtown Manhattan location is out of this world; steps from Times Square and the theatres, I never had to hail a cab/Lyft/Uber.



Designed by Harry Mulliken, the Iroquois opened in 1902 and functioned as both an apartment complex and a hotel. The Wigwam Bar opened at the hotel in 1939 and contained images of the pilgrims and Native Americans. Currently, it is considered one of the luxury boutique properties that are part of the Triumph Hotel brand. The hotel’s website says this: Since its debut in Midtown Manhattan, The Iroquois has undergone renovations to upgrade its luxury accommodations and public spaces, while maintaining its historic roots and architectural integrity.



First, let me say that the staff at The Iroquois was amazing; kind, helpful, and genuine, they were a very large appeal besides the great location. On the negative side, I found the interior of the hotel too sleek. The aesthetic is one that has swept many older properties that are scrubbed clean of their history in order to turn them into something that would appeal to the hipsters with $$. Please keep in mind this is only my opinion; when I travel I prefer to stay in hotels that are clean (which the Iroquois definitely was), but still exhibit nooks and crannies of history. True, one of the rooms off the lobby had some photos of Dean and Marilyn Monroe, but those seemed like manufactured/minimal touches that were shoehorned into the space.



My room delivered exactly what it promised: a view of the Chrysler building. Was it worth the extra money I paid? Probably not, as I could have experienced the same visual just walking along the sidewalk. Being on the eleventh floor did not warrant the experience enough for the $$. My friend Melissa (aka “The Colonel”) also stayed at the Iroquois. She chose not to pay the extra money and she had a view of a brick wall, so I guess I should be grateful!



The room felt spacious, clean, and had everything I needed (including the iron!).



The window with a view, which would have been a great place for me to finish writing my book had I stayed in New York long enough!



The bathroom was good sized and also well-appointed.



Once I settled in, I immediately made my way up to the 8th floor to see room 803, where Dean lived.



There was no plaque acknowledging Dean, which I had seen on multiple websites. The front desk staff told me that CMG Worldwide, the company that manages the James Dean “brand” had told them they needed to pay a licensing fee to use his name, otherwise the plaque had to be removed. I could not believe it. I seriously doubt that Dean’s surviving cousin, Marcus Winslow, is aware of this travesty. Stay tuned I as I attempt to rectify this travesty! 



Call me crazy, but the only time I felt connected to Dean and the history of the hotel was when I took the staircase. This one area exuded the history and probably not-so-glamorous past of the apartment building where the young actor stayed.



Would I recommend the Iroquois as a place to stay? Definitely. Are there other choices more appropriate for those who feel the same way I do? Definitely. It’s all about personal taste. I do regret that because I was there for such a short time that I didn’t explore the hotel more and see their bar, The Lantern’s Keep, or check out the fitness center. Also - the hotel is pet friendly. A huge plus!

One more semi-historic tidbit about the Iroquois: The Clash wrote "Rock The Casbah" while staying here. See more Iroquois Hotel photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

The picture frame with the cutout for the fire alarm is a nice touch!

Fifthrider said...

It's all beautiful but agreed about the "upgrades". It seems every generation needs to leave their mark and does so by uprooting the previous generation's work. This is only forgivable when it's an improvement and that's rare. Perhaps someday the next generation of interior design will return it to it's original concept. That lobby says "Courtyard by Marriott" all over. Glad you guys had a good time.

Anonymous said...

Stayed there YEARS ago on my birthday, in Jimmy's room Pre Renovation... Room 802 (tho now 803)...loved it!
Even have a souvenir of a piece of floorboard from when he lived there .. LOL, and some other items I found under the floor (discreet, no one could tell it was missing)..lol..And YES, they "Disneyfied" the Hotel, a little too slick. As a long time NewYorker, we hate when they renovate into oblivion.. like the Blue Bar at the Algonquin Hotel (where Jimmy hung out a lot.)...and where friends of his at the time lived, being closed to make a "Conference Room" absolute blasphemy by Marriott..

Cheers 🥂 and thanks for your Post!

Daveland said...

Melissa - I agree - very creative on the cutout!

Bryan - Preaching to the choir.

Anonymous - I think we were separated at birth! Thanks for sharing your experience.