Friday, June 03, 2022

Doris Day and the Donuts



In this behind-the-scenes photo from “Pillow Talk,” Doris Day is dreaming of powdered donuts. What?!? Yes…it’s a semi-long story, but for my birthday, Melissa (aka “The Colonel”) sent me a still of Doris Day, two bags of powdered donuts, and the accompanying note:



Ann? Yes, readers…as in Ann Miller, famous MGM musical star of yesteryear. For a quick 411, you need to watch the “Hollywood Hoarder” episode on the Punchy Players’ YouTube channel. Judy Garland pays a visit to her old friend and costar Ann Miller (the hoarder of the title) and finds a bag of expired powdered donuts from 1972. Judy tries to get her to throw them away, but Ann explains, “I can’t toss those. You never know when Doris Day is gonna’ come by and she LOVES a good powdered donut!”



I enlisted the aid of a friend and did the requested taste test; Tastykake vs. Entenmann’s:



The result? Entenmann’s was the favorite, thanks to a richer flavor and dare I say it...just a tad more “moist.” So if Doris ever stops by unexpectedly, make sure you get Entenmann’s.

For fans of old Hollywood (and hoarders), here’s the entire “Hollywood Hoarder: Judy to the Rescue” video:



And it just so happens that today is National Doughnut Day! I love when serendipity works out like that.

See more Pop Culture photos at my main website.

3 comments:

Fifthrider said...

I remember "Ann" saying that in that video but I never knew the history of the powdered donuts. That's genius, it's a specific reference not something random. God, the guy who did those videos was brilliant. Also, I'm glad your donuts weren't from 1972.

max said...

was just rewatching these

hope you're swell

you babe

Daveland said...

Bryan - They could have been 1972 for all I know…do those things ever really go bad?!? I just wish I had some Shasta to wash them down with.

Max - I'm not sure I still qualify for "babe" but thank you!