Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Art in the Desert



When one goes to Palm Springs, it’s typically to relax, lay by the pool, and soak up the sunshine (and heat!). On my last few visits, I have noticed that the area surrounding the Art Museum has really become a lovely destination to peruse. This downtown park is where the Forever Marilyn statue was moved to, and the surrounding area has blossomed as a result. If you’re feeling hot, how about sitting underneath these funky shade canopies?



This “art installation” was new to me on my most recent visit. Interesting…



It was ALMOST a full moon that evening…



This area has “Babies on the Move” by artist David Černý. The 8' tall statues are a bit creepy; I for one won’t be disappointed when their temporary stint is over.



The lightning bolt of red was a recent addition to this inaccessible area.



I noticed that there’s one on the Rowan Hotel; maybe this one got lost?



I definitely prefer this “disappearing” statue to the Babies. Walk around it and you’ll see what I mean.



Even the restrooms at the park are designed nicely:



For the younger set, this Grafitti Yard is a cool (not literally) place to hang out:



Not surprisingly, there is a bit of vagrancy in the area, but not anything that kept tourists/locals away when I was strolling through.
 
See more Palm Springs photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anything by Stewart Johnson really can't be called "art"...

Fifthrider said...

I can appreciate that they had some kind of art displayed, anything. Beyond that, it's hit and miss. I spend a lot of time saying "Ooooookay?" out loud. The lightning is neat, the babies are... Lovecraftian?