Wednesday, June 01, 2022

Disneyland Railroad: Frontierland Depot, 1970s



It’s hard to pick between the Main Street Train Station and the Frontierland/New Orleans Square depot; I love ’em both! Today we will spend some time at the latter, starting with this June 1971 shot of the E.P. Ripley. If my collection only had the corresponding shot that this little boy is snapping!



Moving ahead to August 1977, the Ernest S. Marsh rides overhead on the wooden trestle:



Back to the Depot and more August 1977 images. I remember the first time I took the Grand Circle tour in this caboose; boy was it hot in there!



A great shot of the Depot itself:



The Disneyland Railroad crew is just about the friendliest!



I am so glad this photographer loved the DLRR as much as I do.



The Ernest S. Marsh pulling into the Depot…



and then exiting:



Followed by #3, the Fred Gurley:



…which just happens to be pulling the Lilly Belle V.I.P. car:



A closer look before we exit the 70s:



See more Disneyland Frontierland Depot photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

The shape of that plume of steam (or is it smoke?) in that first picture is just perfect.

Fifthrider said...

Sometimes I prefer NOS because it's smaller, quieter, and has that history of the morse code story to go with it. Congrats on riding in the boxcar, I don't think I've ever been in that though I've asked.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that it was a treat to ride up front in the cab/tender once while I was a CM, off duty but still in costume. The engineer who was a friend invited me aboard during a lunch break and I took him up on it. I doubt that would be tolerated today. KS

Anonymous said...

Highlight of my Disneyland trips was the last one in 2017 where the DLRR was closed for construction of Wookie World, and the station was open to cross the tracks and see it up close.

I'll never get to do that again.

Thanks for the wonderful pics, Dave.

JG