Thursday, April 28, 2022

Thursday in Adventureland, circa 1950’s



Welcome to Adventureland, circa 1956! No crowds, no strollers, and very young landscaping. This is my kind of day at the Park! The poor little boy in the nerd outfit wants to stop posing for photos and get on an attraction.



This 1958 image shows the back of what is currently the Jolly Holiday restaurant, themed for Adventureland. You can call this the Jekyll & Hyde building with two faces:



This undated 1950’s image shows the same angle, but from farther back. Tiki’s Tropical Imports looks like a great place to shop!



For all you signage geeks:



Anything look good?



I’m not quite sure what the sign says; Stocking Caps?



In other news, I was asked to be a guest on the “Had A Magical Day” podcast, put together by Scott Oddo. Wearing the shirt I bought for New Year’s 2000, I do my best to be entertaining while talking about the Park. The shirt is probably more exciting.



To listen to the podcast instead of seeing my high-tech computer room, you can access it on soundcloud or iTunes. See more Disneyland Adventureland photos at my main website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing the details we see when we don't expect to. I suspect that child grew up to be Weird al Yankovic, the childhood pics are similar enough. I have no free hand to cast a stone, I grew up forced to wear corduroy pants. I never cease to be amazed at that open space to the left of the Adventureland entry sign. That wouldn't be the case for long, certainly under 10 years. The spears with human skulls on them, an accoutrement you won't find in the parks anymore. I always check out the vintage Adventureland gift shop pics in the hopes I can identify a souvenir purchased there in 1964, and which resides in my home today. No one can figure out what the damned thing is. Handing it around is like that game show The Liar's Club where everyone takes a guess at what it is. The biggest surprise is under the roof of that Tiki Tropical Import shop. I see a clock showing 12:50pm. You don't see a lot of clocks in Disney anymore, omitted by intentional design!