Friday, April 29, 2022

Summer of ’86 and The Apple Pan



It was May 1986 and I was on top of the world, or at least it felt that way. I had just graduated from Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana and was ready to conquer the world. My friend Rob (the guy with the cast on his leg) had gone with me to San Diego for Spring Break and fell in love with Southern California living.



When he got a chance for a summer internship in Los Angeles, he grabbed it, staying at the FIJI (Phi Gamma Delta) house on the UCLA campus.



I crashed there for about a month, fruitlessly attempting to find employment but also enjoying partying and time at the beach. One of my favorite memories was a late-night meal at The Apple Pan restaurant on Pico Boulevard. Back in those days, there were no cellphones for selfies or capturing every moment of one’s life. Instead, you just enjoyed what was going on let the gray matter take care of the memories.



Rob’s Honda was stolen from the FIJI house on his first day there; the day before I flew back to Philly the car was recovered. It obviously looked a little different from when he last saw it.



Flash forward to 2022 and I was perusing Hamburger America, the book about classic joints that served the best burgers across the nation. The Apple Pan on Pico Boulevard near Westwood was listed and it sure did stir up my memories. Knowing how time and especially the recent pandemic had scorched many a business, I vowed to return as quickly as I could before this place potentially bit the dust. I am so glad that I did!



While I had changed during the last 36 years, the outside of The Apple Pan looked about the same.





The stools I recall sitting on with Rob and his buddy are no longer open to the public; instead, customers are directed to sit in a picnic area at the back of the restaurant. I was a bit sad that I was unable to sit inside and watch the burgers being made as I had back in 1986, but times changes everything and I was grateful to have the opportunity to savor one of these burgers again.





The menu:



Melissa (aka “The Colonel’), visiting from New Jersey, posed with our large bag of goodies which only took about 15 minutes to get.



My Hickory Burger and fries were delish.



So was the freshly baked apple pie and ice cream, which came with a little plastic container of apple juice/sauce.



Melissa and Shirley Jean (from Baltimore) would agree; good quality lasts forever!



The food was tasty, but I truly missed the retro experience of enjoying the food inside a true “joint” while eating off china and drinking from a paper cup placed inside a retro metal cupholder. Pandemic: you suck.

See more Apple Pan in Los Angeles photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Lovely pictures, both the old and new. How often do we get a chance to step back into our happy memories?

I love restaurants like this, that focus on a small but high-quality menu over a multitude of mediocre options. My mouth is watering just reading the menu.

Anonymous said...

There is a little malt shop in Anna, Texas called Spurlock's. It has been around forever and still has a huge menu of home cooked items...with their own flare. For example, I ordered a cheeseburger and when I got it I realized it was literally two grilled cheese sandwiches on Texas toast, with a huge, delicious patty between them! Absolutely decadent and absolutely wonderful!

Bryan said...

What a great story, thanks for sharing that. Sorry about Rob's leg and car, that's some great "first week in CA." Too bad they won't open the inside for seating, some of this safety went too far and isn't about safety anymore. ....unless those counter stools were about to snap off and fall over, in which case I'd understand. I guess in today's day and age we should be appreciative that a place even exists anymore. Next month it may close and be a T-Mobile store in it's spot.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Yep, older we get the more we crave the opportunity to relive our memories where we can. Begs the question though...what became of Rob?? KS

Daveland said...

Melissa - You and I think the same; give me quality over quantity!

Stu - Not planning on going to Anna, but if I did, wow! That sandwich sounds tasty!

Bryan - I am guessing that the removal of the seats might be for ease of getting food in and out. Am hoping that at some point indoor seating will return.

KS - Good question! Rob and I lost touch over the years, so I don't have an update.