Monday, May 16, 2016

Journey Back To 1956



I'm back. I know my blog has been spotty lately, but I have been traveling, exploring, and all kinds of other things that you probably have no interest in that have prevented me from posting. I return today with a few images from a set of 21 consecutive 1956 Disneyland slides. Naturally I will be presenting them in chronological order; is there any other way? We'll start out with a few snoozers and work our way up to the big finish.

It is always interesting (to me at least) to see the Castle without the crest above the entrance.



I know...zzzzzzzzz. But for this man in 1956, it was probably pretty exciting to be visiting Disneyland during its initial year of being open.



A glimpse of Frontierland. I wish I could have grabbed this guy's camera and taken the photos myself!



This shot of the waterway between Adventureland and Frontierland is a bit more interesting!



A somewhat contemporary shot from 2012 for comparison:



Over at the Pack Mule attraction, which is where Big Thunder Mountain Railroad currently resides.



While we're at it, here's a shot of the Pack Mules from 1958/59.



Get a load of the little girl's hat; she got plenty of shade with that!



Back to 1956 we finally get to one of the images that I was most excited to acquire. This BAM shot of a Frontierland Stagecoach:



A detail of the art on the door:



The unloading of the Coach:



A detailed view:



Last one for today shows a barren Rivers of America with a Stagecoach meandering along the edge:





More vintage (and current!) Disneyland images at my main website.

8 comments:

Devoman said...

Wow, the last picture look like there is a Conestoga wagon too!

DrGoat said...

Wow. What great pics. I was there in '57. Sure wish I could
remember more but I was only 7. I seem to only have vague
memories of Fantasyland and Frontierland. Did wear my
Davy Crockett t-shirt and coon skin cap though.

K. Martinez said...

Love the early shot of the waterway between Adventureland and Frontierland. Thanks, Dave.

Anonymous said...

Anytime you can post Dave, it is always appreciated. I agree with Dr. Goat...if only I could remember my visit to the Park in 1957. Had the Davy Crockett cap with me too! KS

Fifthrider said...

Some of us were starting to worry. Glad you're okay. Great pics. Interesting to see the Arizona on display and the California at work. They're both so pristine at this point.

beachgal said...

I had one of those Chinese coolie Disneyland hats back in the first days the park was open. Mine was natural color with some pink embroidered flowers on it. They were really popular for gals the first few years the park was open.

PWover50 said...

Dave, I think you have solved something that has driven me nuts! I have always wondered about the location/purpose/reason for the 'building' of sorts that supports the right side of the Adventureland entrance sign. Even with the park being 60 years old, it still remains ... so obviously it is important.

Well, I studied that Adventureland entrance photo from '56 with minimal vegetation, and lots of water exposure and then it hit me. There are two different water levels! So I'm thinking there is a recirculating pump motor in that 'building' for the Rivers of the World/Jungle Cruise and the waters at the entrance for Frontierland (and perhaps the Sleeping Beauty moat as well).

I know I'm weird, but that 'building' has always intrigued me. I have often pondered the reason for its existence while standing next to it having a Dole whip. Guess what I'm going to be checking out, ONCE AGAIN, on my next visit. I think you have given me the answer I have been seeking all these years.

Lenda in PB

Devoman said...

I think I read something about that in an old E Ticket magazine. Time to go digging in the garage!