Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tell-No-Tales Thursdays: Pirate Ship Attack on a Spanish Town



Originally, the stretch between the skeleton-pirate-treasure room and the Wicked Wench room was a somewhat boring, quiet, and dark ride. This all changed with the Jack Sparrow/movie-inspired additions that occurred a few years ago. This Davy Jones projection on the mist effect was a way cool addition, and a nice intro to the Pirate Ship Attack on a Spanish Town Scene.

This shot is from a vintage viewmaster reel, showing the Pirate Ship attacking a Spanish Town. You can almost smell the smoke effects!



Here’s what the Wicked Wench is shooting at. I have always loved coming out of the dark tunnel into this huge set area of the ship, the canon fire, and the dueling shadows on the wall.



Here is what the Pirate Ship looks like now, with the exchange of Blackbeard for Geoffrey Rush’s character, Barbossa, from the “Pirates” movie.







Apparently, Producer Jerry Bruckheimer would not give permission to refurbish the attraction’s ship into the Black Pearl. Since it is a Disney-owned movie, I have my doubts to this story. Anyone in the know care to comment?

This poor pirate has lost his sight. Back in July of 2006 he was 20/20, now he’s wearing a patch. Poor varmint. It was pointed out to me by a reader that all the figures on the Wicked Wench are from the same facial mold. Check it out!





See more Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean photos at my website.

6 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great post and some amazing shots Dave! For the 1st time I am going to have to disagree with you regarding the Davy Jones projection. Yes it's a cool effect and and everyone seems to like it and throw their hands up in it...

But, the long "boring, quiet, and dark" tunnel and the narrowing feeling as you traveled thru it helped to "cleanse your palate" if you will, to reset your awareness, causing you to use the darkness and your imagination as to what was next. Now its pretty obvious what's next. Just my 2¢

Major Pepperidge said...

Another great post with nice old and new images. Seems hard to believe that Mr. Bruckheimer would feel so proprietary about the Black Pearl, but I'm perfectly OK with the Wicked Wench staying just the way she is.

Katella Gate said...

Re the Black Pearl makeover: My guess is they didn't want to spend the money to make-over a set in a dark ride that they really couldn't merchandise or promote, and frankly I think that was a wise choice.

From personal experience, 99% of the public cannot tell the difference between the Hindenburg and the Titanic, so there really was no loss.

Heidi Ann said...

I wish I were at Disneyland RIGHT NOW on board a Pirates of The Caribbean boat!

walterworld said...

Nice Post Dave!

I think the Viewmaster folks flipped the slide of the Wicked Wench...What do you think?

Daveland said...

Walterworld...there is a good chance that I might have flipped it myself when scanning!