Friday, August 04, 2006

Entrance to Adventureland, July 1956



Here’s an often seen shot, the entrance to Adventureland. I love this sign; one day, I will make a craft project out of it for my Tiki Bar. I've said it before: it always amazes me to see shots of the park with virtually no visitors. Something you just don't see anymore.

RANT OF THE DAY: For years, Disney has refused to release “Song of the South” on video, because of its supposed racist content. Rumors of a 60th Anniversary DVD release were recently publicly squelched by Bob Iger, stating the same reasons of not wanting to offend. So, if this is the case, why is Disney's online store now rolling out “Song of the South” merchandise in the Collectibles section of the website?!?

See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

The company has always seemed more at ease with the cartoon segments of "Song of the South", with the exceptional characters, animation and backgrounds. It's the sugary depiction of post-slavery plantation life that makes them squirm. I have to admit that it makes me squirm a little too, but that does not mean that I want this film to be "buried" forever. People should be able to watch this 60 year old film, and yes, criticize it if they want. Unfortunately Disney has shown an ever-growing tendency to self-censor.

Matterhorn1959 said...

The film is not any more racist than Gone With The Wind and there is no outcry about that movie everytime it is shown on TV. Speaking to Kevin and Jody, the artists for Disney Direct, the decision to make the merchandise was tied to the film being released on DVD and only after production had started did they receive information that Disney was not going to release the film. I feel if they can release the war cartoons that are anti-Japanese, then they can release Song of the South.

Daveland said...

AMEN! Well said, Matterhorn.

Tinker Bell said...

I second that Amen!! I have Song of the South and my husband and his family are African-American slave descendants and have no problem with the film whatsoever. We actually run it frequently! IMO it's a sweet story depicting the friendship of a young boy and an older man. I see far more politics and moments of personal discomfort in the war films Disney produced at the time, too.