Monday, August 28, 2023

Lounging at The Lafayette, Pt. 2



The Mississippi Room at the Hotel Manor (now The Lafayette) was where guests could hear the big bands, drink, dance, and do all the things that made life fun back in the fifties. This souvenir photo is from November 1950. Yes, in the day before selfies, people paid for souvenir photos. This lounge was where my Aunt used to hang out at night when she was done her shift as a waitress. Apparently, when Jack McLean joined the Navy in mid-1943, his orchestra was taken over by Jimmy Kennedy, owner of San Diego’s Paris Inn (downtown on the corner of 1st and C), where they had been playing.



Based on this hanging banner, it would appear that the Mississippi Room will be making a comeback, but isn’t quite ready just yet.



The lobby bar gets packed at night with the local hipsters.



At first glance, I loved the decor; at second, something about it just seems a little too “off the shelf” and manufactured. I’m not quite sure that it will age well.



Now we arrive at the initial destination: Beginner’s Diner.



The copy on the menu reads as follows:

This thing. here, this isn’t a diner. The real diner is dead. Beginners Diner is the Smithsonian ode to the diner because the craving for better and cheaper that created the diner wound up killing it off in the end. We long to see the true diner in the wild, but are only really able to experience it in the films and our imagination. So sure, the diner survives, but it survives as a twisted and perverted and idolized version of itself. And in the end, the idea of the diner will outlive all of us in places like Beginner’s Diner, because as Ringo (a.k.a. Honey Bunny) says in Pulp Fiction, “The days of me forgetting are over, and the days of me remembering have just begun.”



Interesting copy; it serves to justify the higher prices (probably smart to condition the customer that way), but fails to note that there are some traditional diners that still exist “in the wild.” I know…I’ve been there. If you’re going to write smart-ass copy, do your research before you make a claim. Back to Beginner’s Diner…



With Mar-mar, my partner in crime. We were ready to try the tater tots.



The hit of this visit was the Boozy Milkshake (I chose Banana Coconut). Just the right amount of booze, it also came with a good amount of leftover in the metal mixing container. Nice touch!



I ordered the French Dip. I was happy with my choice as far as flavor goes; however, for $22, I would have expected the sandwich to be a little more about the meat and less so on the bun. The tater tots were good, but Station Tavern is not going to lose me as a customer any time soon.



The apple pie was good, but lacked the flavor I would expect from a diner. Nice plate though!



Overall, Beginner’s Diner gets an A+ on presentation, but a C+/B- on the food. Still worth the trip, and let’s keep in mind…they just opened. Hopefully in time things will improve.

Here’s a sound clip from youTube of the Jack McLean orchestra playing “When the April Showers Reach Hawaii,” circa 1947. You can imagine yourself sipping a cocktail at the Mississippi Room while you listen to it.



Is there more to come from this story? Of course! See more Lafayette Hotel and Club photos at my main website.

1 comment:

Fifthrider said...

Another great review, and I have to admit you have me wanting to visit just to see it in person. As time marches on I find a lot of establishments ( theme park or otherwise ) are making the same two actions:

1) Ego - "We're the last diner because they're all dead and gone" which they're not.

2) Cheaper decor - Faux wood and metal work, new Club 33 and so on.

I don't like that second one but I almost understand it from a business point of view. Although they SHOULD go with quality furnishings like Walt would have done, I can see why the beancounters have to balance it out. The pieces only need to last as long as their fad has a following. Why invest in a brass sculpture when you'll be running out of customers in 5 years?

I'm grasping at straws here since the Lafayette has lasted longer than Disneyland and has no excuse to pull such a Kim Irvine move now.

I'm definitely going here before something terrible happens, just like Cliftons. So lucky I went thanks to your review.