Friday, January 06, 2023

2022: The Year in Review



As things opened up a bit more this year, I dipped my toe into the waters and ventured out of my cocoon. My first trip for 2022 was to Palm Springs, which is not all that far distance-wise, but sure makes for a nice getaway. I stayed at my usual haunt, the Movie Colony Hotel. Outdoor swimming in early February? Count me in.



I finally found a Valentine (besides Willis, of course).



After a ten year absence (at least according to my photo library), I was able to see the Forever Marilyn statue again:



I also discovered a hidden Lloyd Wright architectural gem:



My February PS trip also yielded my top blog post for the year, which featured the Plaza Theatre:



In March, I found myself at Huntington Beach for a very windy photo shoot:





The after-shoot meal was chicken and waffles at Mama’s Comfort Food & Cocktails.



In April, I was back in Hollywood for the annual Shirley Palooza, with detours to the Academy Museum to see the Ruby Slippers:



My first trip to Shirley Temple’s childhood home in Brentwood, thanks to Melissa (aka The Colonel):





Don’t worry about Willis; he was along for the adventure, too, lounging at the Chateau Marmont pool;



Another year, another birthday, this time at one of my favorite San Diego restaurants, Madison.



June found me back in Palm Springs, checking another one off my bucket list: the Korakia Pensione hotel:



This year also marked the return of the monthly Creative Mornings breakfast meeting in Downtown San Diego:



Typically on the last Friday of the month, they provide a great opportunity for networking, coffee, donuts, and fantabulous speakers:



An’s Dry Cleaning became a new favorite haunt this year; not for dry cleaning, but for ice cream.



Every (almost) Wednesday night, I ran with the Milestone Running Club. A great way to rid myself of that hump day stress and get snacks like oranges or watermelon afterwards.



In August, I hid in the bushes to capture a surprise engagement shoot in Coronado.



Did she say “yes”? What do you think?





Another Chateau visit in August, this time to celebrate my friend Will’s birthday. Naturally, Willis joined in the festivities.



I also had the pleasure of doing two photo shoots with actor Guillermo Diaz this year. First at the Chateau in September:



…and in Venice Beach in December:



My whirlwind November NYC trip to see a Broadway play and catch up with friends was well-documented here:



…as was Mom’s 90th birthday celebration in Philly:



Willis and I reunited at the Chateau. Nothing like Chateau Marmont bacon to get him to forgive me for leaving town.



It’s fantastic to be able to stay here and be treated like family by the best staff ever,



The holiday season was kicked off with a concert by the Doo Wop Project:



The year ended with a bang as Willis got to meet the legendary Sid Krofft. Stay tuned for that story and more!



I hope your 2022 was a positively memorable one was well!

See more of my photography at my main website.

6 comments:

Bryan said...

One of your years is better than some people's whole lives. Well done! Some great photoshoots, awesome topics and Willis living his best life. Can't wait to hear how that Kroft meeting went.

Anonymous said...

Krofft

Anonymous said...

Dave, your dog has a more exciting life than 99% of us. Lucky pup! Good for him and glad he is living large.

Take care in 2023 and keep blogging

Edward Allen

Anonymous said...

You and Willis livin the good life! Happy New Year! KS

Max said...

I love how social and humble Sid Krofft is. I also love the photo of you and Willis by the pool. Would love to stay there with you.

Daveland said...

Bryan - it def was a good year, but I'm also good with the smoke & mirrors!

Edward & KS - Willis deserves it! He makes me look good!

Max - I'm ready when you are! Hit me up!