Thursday, June 11, 2020

Storybook 1956 Blowout!



Today is a stockpile of beautiful images from the earliest days of Disneyland’s Storybook Land attraction. The first one is the actual Storybook that was used to promote the attraction when it first opened. Oh, how I wonder what happened to these gigantic fake books!


A view at dusk of the patchwork quilt area with Cinderella’s Castle towering over the background as Casey Junior passes below.


Those d#$n telephone wires in the back!


A daylight shot of the castle:


Much better angle — no wires! This photographer knew what they were doing!


The landscape is pretty barren here in this view of the Tremaine home:



Thanks to Matthew for letting me know that the location of this shot is near the cottage of the Seven Dwarfs. I hope you enjoyed today’s journey!


See more Storybook Land photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Matthew said...

That's not the ending... that little canal boat has come out of the cave the witch passed through on her journey to Snow White's house to our left (what all the people are looking at).

Just a couple of interesting tings I noticed. In the sixth photo another one of those d#$n telephones poles is visible at the Tremaine home. I can see why Walt wanted those moved.

In your fourth photo the Storybook Land Host is standing up on the boat. I never worked this attraction but had to go there one night, after the Park closed, to teach a Narration Training class. Those little boats rocked back and fourth pretty good so standing must have required a lot of balance.

Finally, in that last photo the Storybook Land Host is seated in the boat with the Guests.

Finally, I too would be interested in knowing what happened to those gigantic fake books. The artwork is incredible.

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

Daveland said...

Matthew you are incredible! Thanks for the info on the cave shot location!

Matthew said...

@Daveland, my pleasure my friend!

Always your pal,

"Lou and Sue" said...

Fun post and comments! Thank you, Dave and Matthew!

Sue

Mark said...

Dave, I believe that the actual storybook idea is used in Disneyland Paris. I have a photo of it "somewhere".