Friday, June 26, 2020

Fallbrook Friday



For my first foray back into the world since the 'rona pandemic, I met one of my fellow bloggers at The Rainbow Oaks Restaurant in Fallbrook. Dating back to 1946, this was my first trip to this historic restaurant which felt somewhat like being in a time warp…in a good way! The restaurant’s website calls itself “a gathering place for locals, travelers and bikers to engage in fine, yet affordable dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner serving traditional American cuisine.”
Local timbers salvaged from the 2007 fire that spread across north San Diego County are now part of the walls, ceiling, and bar-top of the restaurant. I LOVE when there’s a story to a building! Although I brought my camera with me (had to on my first outing!), I did not do a good job of capturing my experience. I was definitely out of practice! An interior shot of the dining room:

The original retro-neon sign is visible from interstate 15 which I did not capture! Bad blogger. I also failed to think to take a shot of my meal, which was one of those rare experiences where I actually had a hamburger and fries. Just take my word for it…it was fantastic! Yes, sometimes I just like to enjoy the moment rather than document it.
At noon, the music began over the restaurant’s speaker system and everyone stood up to salute the flag while “The Star Spangled Banner” played. I can’t remember the last time I saw such an open display of patriotism for this country. It was definitely refreshing, especially with all the anger and bile being spewed about these days.
Nearby you’ll also find the Rainbow Oaks Country Market.


I will definitely return. Open everyday from 7am to 9pm.

See more San Diego photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Sounds like a great trip. Next time I'm down your way... I will be sure to see you (THEN, I will swing by the "Rainbow Oaks Restaurant @ The County Line." I love that extra little description "@ The County Line"). But boy, oh boy, it would be great to do a "2-fer" based on you description of the burger and fries.

And remember your out of practice shots... are still amazing! Glad you brought the camera and shared your experience with us. More importantly, I'm more glad (is that right... more glad? Any who), that you were able to enjoy the moment.

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

Fifthrider said...

I actually make a list of neat places to go based on your adventures. If not for you, I'd never known about Clifftons. Now I'm headed here someday. Thanks.