Thursday, March 14, 2019

1977 Storybook Land



Care to join me on a vintage ride through Disneyland’s Storybook Land, circa October 1977? Our first stop in the journey is Mole End/Ratty's House.

For guests, the Cinderella tableau seems to have been the most popular spot.



I get blown away by the tiny details that most guests never see, yet the Imagineers took the time to put them there. Doorways, windows, chimneys, the stonework...



The modest Tremaine home:



Gotta’ have a closeup, because I know you want to see their mailbox:



Last one of the bunch shows Gepetto’s Village. If only it were a bit lighter I could have gotten some really great detail shots out of this one!



See more Disneyland Storybook Land photos at my main website.

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Thanks for posting more pictures of one of my favorite features of the Park!

You know, I'd never really thought about it since it fairly faithfully reproduces the look of the house from Cinderella, but the Tremaine home doesn't make a lot of sense architecturally. Who slaps a Gothic tower on their chateau like that?

I'm imagining the discussion between Mr. Tremaine and his architect, "Yeah, Mike, I really like what you've done with your rendering, but there's something missing. Hmmm...I know! Why don't we slap a ridiculously high tower on the back? That may come in useful after I die if my second wife ever decides to enslave and imprison my daughter. That more than justifies the expense of this otherwise useless feature."

Unless, of course, the tower was built first and the house added on centuries later. Nah - they never did things like that in Europe... ;-)

Matthew said...

@ Chuck that is hysterical. And yeah... who ever built around Gothic towers in Europe?

I personally like the little vineyard out front of the Tremaine home. I wonder if it grows tiny grapes? ;-)

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

Anonymous said...

Just the best part of Disneyland to me.

Chuck, there are more conversations like that than you might imagine, only it is the architect convincing the owner that the ridiculous design element wanted by the architect is essential to illustrate the owner's good taste.

The odd design is more plausible if your timing is reversed. The tall keep was the oldest part of the house still standing, constructed in the Dark Ages when a home had to be a fortress to keep out robbers. Later in times of peace and prosperity under the wise king, the chateau was added to the front as comfortable, even ostentatious living quarters.

I know, I know, it's just a movie.

Thanks Dave.

JG