Thursday, April 27, 2017

Vintage Tile Heaven



We have climbed the staircase up to the second floor and are about to experience nirvana. But first...a beautiful piece of poetry by William Randolph Hearst himself. Hard to believe the tall, oft-feared newspaper publishing magnate could write something so sweet. This is what Marion inspired:



The details in the mouldings were not missed by my eagle eye.





Please let me catch my breath while I experience the sight of this vintage bathroom tile all over again.



They just don't make 'em like they used to.



And as if one weren't enough...here was the second bathroom.





What?!? A third bathroom of glorious vintage tile? Oh yes...







In this upstairs room, a documentary about Marion played continuously on a loop. She really did have a luminous quality to her. I could have sat and watched more, but other things were pressing on the agenda!



A previously posted shot of Marion herself, at San Simeon:



How about this view from the upstairs?



Next up: a trip back to the Santa Monica History Museum!



More Marion Davies Guest House photos at my main website.

5 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I really like the tile in the third bathroom. Thanks, Dave.

Chuck said...

Wow! Thanks for posting these over the past few days - it sent me off on a search to learn about the REAL Marion Davies, who, I must confess, I only knew from Citizen Kane and a college professor who tended to pass on rumor to his trusting undergrad classes more often than rigorously-researched facts.

Unknown said...

My great aunt Mary was personal maid to Miss Davies and had a number of great stories to tell of time at the castle. She's gone now but the memories linger...

Daveland said...

Patrick - That must have been an amazing experience for your Great Aunt!

nick said...

Wow -- is that a bathtub or an indoor lap lane swimming pool?