Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Back in Savannah, Pt. 1



When one hears of The South, images of grand old oak trees dripping with spanish moss and waxy white magnolia blossoms typically come to mind.



For me though, the charm of Savannah, Georgia is in its twenty-two remaining city squares. This recent June trip was like many others, finding me comfortably lodged at the Hamilton-Turner Inn in Lafayette Square.



It's a beautiful property, and the Square itself is one of my favorites, nestled under a lush canopy of shade trees.



Despite the warm feeling of familiarity, I wanted to venture to new Squares and other undiscovered treasures in my favorite southern city. One rarely visited Square is Whitefield, which was the last one created in Savannah in 1851.



A quaint gazebo can be found at the center of this park-like setting.



The First Congregational Church is on one edge of Whitefield. The Church was completed in 1895. Due to a merger between the Congregational Christian Church and the Evangelical and Reformed church, the First Congregational church is now affiliated with the United Church of Christ.



Zooming in, you can see the exquisite decay that I find so attractive. I guess "Great Expectations" continues to have an effect on me.



Orleans Square has the impressive Harper Fowlkes House:





Disneyland isn't the only place that still has hitching posts:



A cool fountain is in the center of the Square; very welcoming on a hot humid Savannah day.



More to come...

See more Savannah, Georgia photos on my Savannah web pages.

1 comment:

K. Martinez said...

The Lafayette Fountain image is beautiful. Love the lush look. Great photo!