Sunday, June 09, 2013

A Presidential Park



Ever since Opening Day, Disneyland has been a place for Presidents and Presidents-to-be. Today's post celebrates our American Presidents at the park before, during, and after their time in the Oval Office. First up is Richard Nixon, enjoying Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, followed by a few shots of Ronald Reagan, who was one of the celebrity narrators on Opening Day.





Harry Truman and wife Bess toured the park in Nov. 1957:





Presidential hopeful John F. Kennedy got the Grand Circle Tour along with Guinea President Sekou Toure in Oct. 1959





Used to "putting out fires," Dwight D. Eisenhower poses in front of the Fire Department with wife Mamie in 1961:





President Jimmy Carter takes an early morning run through Frontierland in May 1982:



Last but not least, no Presidential post would be complete without Honest Abe!



See more vintage & current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland web pages.

3 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Thunder Mountain looks great in the President Carter pic. Love the finale to your post today!

CoxPilot said...

From 1959 to 1965, I saw all the presidents that visited The Park, and many world figures too. I didn't realize that I should have kept a camera AT the Flight Circle to get those moments in time. Now I take more photos with my phone in a week, than I would have taken in months back then. New tec is a pain, but when it works, IT WORKS!

Thanks Dave, for those pics I never took.

Major Pepperidge said...

I liked the mention of "Dutch" Reagan in the last episode of "Mad Men"...!