
Change is inevitable, and no matter how much we resist it, it typically manages to beat us over the head at some point. “They” say bad news comes in threes, so I am hoping that when it comes to favorite restaurant closures, this is it for a while. This spring, longtime favorite Hob Nob Hill closed down for good, after struggling for a year under the poor choices of the new owners. The place I originally fell in love with was fairly priced, large portions, great service, and made-from-scratch meals that tasted like mom made ’em. It was one of those staples that I ate at often, and my friends all dug it, too. No more Cincinnati Chili:

…and no more group gatherings where you didn’t feel like you needed to be ushered out. Nothing but good times, good food, and good memories.

Nearly every trip to LA featured a lunchtime stop at Mauro Cafe on Melrose, in the now defunct West Hollywood Fred Segal shopping center.

Every friend I took there raved; with both indoor and outdoor seating, you could guarantee that there would be fun people watching (and a celeb or two), delicious food, and servers who looked like they just stepped off the runway.

It was also Willis approved.


They had a lemonade slushee that was tart as could be and I LOVED it. On my most recent trip to LA, I was going to stop at the recently moved Mauro, but ran out of time. Oh well, I’ll catch it next time, I reasoned to myself. Next time is now never. It has permanently closed. Don’t put off for tomorrow what you can do today. So many adages today.

Yesterday, I learned that local favorite Madison in University Heights is also closing down, to replaced by who knows what.

This was another place that I typically took out-of-town guests to, including my mom. It got her stamp of approval, which is no small feat; Tony is one tough customer.

The drinks were a tasty precursor to the meal, which was followed by their awesome desserts. Presentation was a hallmark of this place:

The barrel ceiling and mod design were unique, pairing perfectly with Madison’s vibe.

Many a special occasion was celebrated here, including a birthday or two.

Good friend Mona and her husband Patrick recently went there for a belated birthday celebration. We had no idea it would be our last time there. Had I known I would have brought my camera. Another lesson - never leave the camera at home.

The moral of the story: if there are places you want to go to, or a restaurant you enjoy dining at, get your ass there. Support it. Don’t let it languish. Like anything in life, nothing lasts forever, except maybe the sting of regret.
See more San Diego photos at my main website.
No comments:
Post a Comment