Wednesday, January 03, 2024

2023: The Year in Review



2023 was a year of balance for me; no real highs, no real lows, but a good year for some fun, growth, and a little bit of travel. Still not back to that pre-pandemic level, but that’s just fine with me. It has been great to stay on top of the home/yard care (for the most part!) rather than let things get super crazy by being away so much. Plus, that means more time with Willis. Dinner with Eric and Darin started the year off at one of my favorite restaurants in San Diego, The Bali Hai. A Piña Colada seemed to be an appropriate way to ring in the new year.



Willis and I ventured to Joshua Tree in late January.



I wanted to check out the Joshua Tree Inn where Gram Parsons permanently checked out. 



Willis was not crazy about Joshua Tree and the cold weather, but he was a good sport as always.



He and I dined “Al Fresco” at Pappy & Harriet’s.



It was more like “Al Frostbite” with temperatures dipping below 40 degrees. Willis and I had to eat dinner on the patio. It was probably one of the quickest meals I’ve ever eaten!



First time to Pioneertown, which is not quite as interesting as Calico or Knott’s Ghost Town, but still worth a trip if you make it to Joshua Tree.



I dropped by the Chateau to document the first visit of blogger supreme Janey, aka Atomic Redhead.



Lucky for me, she stayed in a room I’d never photographed before, #37. It’s the simple OCD pleasures that appeal to me.



Every month on the last Friday, I typically head to downtown San Diego to attend the Creative Mornings breakfast lecture.



Sam Mazzeo spoke at the March seminar and was fantastic.



While downtown for that particular lecture, I wandered over to Little Italy to take photos.



You can almost hear Dean Martin.



2023 marked the first (and hopefully last) time I shopped at Marshalls. Thanks to Melissa (aka “The Colonel”) for going along!



For Melissa’s annual West Coast visit, we ate (and drank) our way through San Diego:



Checked out Palm Springs (with Willis, natch):



Nothing like a cocktail at the Colony Palms Hotel to help one cool off on a hot Palm Springs afternoon.



First order of biz when we arrived in LA was a DELICIOSO lunch at Mauro’s Cafe in West Hollywood at Fred Segal. Willis was there, too, but he was busy hunting for table scraps when this photo was snapped.



I only stayed at the Chateau Marmont once this year (sigh), but I definitely made the most of it.



Willis relaxing by the pool:



Getting to hang out with the legendary Sid Krofft (not once, but TWICE in the last year!):



This year also marked a return to paints for me, as I cranked out eight paintings for the annual Shirley Temple birthday anniversary celebration. Sid attended and was the hit of the party.



For SD Pride, I was the guest of Chris & Lindsey Keith at the Rob Benzon & Dan Ferbal launch event. Not only are these two clients of my photography biz, but they are wonderful friends. And super fun to hang out with!



Speaking of photo shoots, I didn’t do as many this year as before (BALANCE!), but managed to book a number of fun ones.



A high school prom shoot? Yup…I do it all!



Fashion shoot in the Gaslamp Quarter:



The aforementioned Lindsey and Chris at their gym:



Photography requires me to stay in shape as I often have to hike, climb, and squat. This was from a shoot at the Ho Chi Minh Trail in La Jolla. 



I even did a wedding this year. My friend from Wednesday Run Club, Zac, finally got his girlfriend Madeleine to say “yes.” They are both pretty darn adorable.





2023 marked the intro of a few new restaurant faves to my portfolio, including Kingfisher in the Golden Hill neighborhood of San Diego:



The interior is just as impressive as the food and cocktails.



The historic El Adobe in Capistrano:



I dined there with Theme Park historian and collector Ken and his wife, Kaycee.



The top 2023 faves on my list are inside the newly renovated Lafayette Hotel in San Diego:



The lobby:



Eating with Marlene at the 24-hour Beginner’s Diner:



One of the dining rooms at the tapas restaurant, Quixote:



Still looking forward to being able to experience Lou Lou’s Club inside the hotel as well:



Sadly, the El Dorado cocktail lounge closed shortly after I “discovered it.”




Willis turned 12 this year with his usual “Pup Cake” from Dexter’s Deli:



October marked my first plane trip in a year; this time to Atlanta for the UCDA Conference. I got to hangout with Mike Jones from Creative South and talented artist/designer Doc Reed:



Highlights of the trip included my visit to Swan House:



A revisit to the Civil War Cyclorama:



A fun stay at the Georgian Terrace Hotel:



…and the horrible (for my waistline) discover of Jeni’s Ice Creams, which also have a location about a mile from my home in San Diego.



The best part of travel is coming home to Willis, my faithful companion.



In November, my Mom traveled back out to San Diego to celebrate her 91st birthday; our Piña Coladas provided perfect bookends to the year.



I ran my first race in over five years (just a 5k this time). I have already signed up for another in 2024!



I ended the year not with a bang, but a whimper, with my recently documented trip to the Titanic Exhibition in Los Angeles.



What’s in store for 2024? Who knows. Hoping to continue another balanced and productive year, with the usual amount of dating stories to entertain my friends (could a normal one PLEASE step forward?!?). Until then, come back for my of my adventures (and photos) as they slowly unfold right here.

See more Daveland photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Fifthrider said...

I cannot believe that was one year. It feels like just months ago I was reading about how freezing cold it was to dine at Pappy & Harriet's. Whata year. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

May 2024 be just a fulfilling! KS