Thursday, April 20, 2023

Tom Sawyer Island: back when it was fun!



Before the attorneys, termites, and Jack Sparrow entered the picture, Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland used to be a lot of fun! The exploration possibilities seemed endless to little kids who had a blast riding a raft over to the Island and then were turned loose like little savage beasts. Remember the Treehouse? Yes, you could actually climb to the top! Uh oh…look at how tall that is. Some little varmint might fall off. Better shut that down!





A closer view:



One of the most tragic losses of the Island is Fort Wilderness, as seen from the Rivers of America:



The entrance:



Yes, at one point, it actually looked like a Fort AND you could go inside, run around, and go through secret passages!



What can I say besides “sigh”?

See more vintage and semi-contemporary Tom Sawyer Island photos at my main website.

6 comments:

Bryan said...

The one attraction designed entirely by Walt. When you go to DL, you never know if it's the last time you're seeing something. I remember teetering on that see-saw rock in the 90s and assumed it would always be there.

JFSinIL said...

Glad to be old enough to have experienced the island many times in my childhood.

Anonymous said...

Yes it was fun. I'd leave my parents on the mainland long after I promised to return...until that is when they would spot me from afar and give me a wave to return. Drats! KS

Anonymous said...

TSI was always a highlight of my childhood visits.

I feel lucky to have a picture of me and my son together in the Treehouse that matches my photo of my Dad and I in the same spot.

It's all gone now.

I was hoping that the Dragon fire would do for the ugly new fort and Lafitte's Tavern too. No such luck.

Thanks Dave.

JG

max said...

wish we could go back

Janey said...

I wish I had more memories on the island before the change. I also cannot get over that tree stump trash can!