
I semi-regularly check back to the Village Theater in Coronado to see what’s playing; my positive experiences at this place have gotten me back to the theater after years of rarely going to the movies in person. Just the thought of driving to a mall and navigating the mall multi-plex parking lots is enough of a deterrent to keep me away. Not so at The Village. This time, the drawing card was “Coyote vs. Acme,” a film with a stormy background that almost didn’t see the light of day.

On a side note, the popcorn is good, too, served by a very friendly staff member. The medium size would be large enough for two.

The Village has three separate screens. This time, I was able to experience #3. Like the other two, it feels magical, with murals of Balboa Park, deco styling, and CLEAN!


The movie: apparently, after it was completed, Warner decided to shelve it and use it as a tax write-off. Three years later, it finally hit the big screen. I have no idea why this film would have been buried, although usually in Hollywood at the big studios it comes down to money. I have heard it described as a cross between “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” and “Erin Brockovich,” and I would say that’s a very good description. Pretty much all the Looney Tune characters are on hand, and I found myself laughing out loud frequently in the first half of the film. The situations in that portion are creative, well-written, and keep in line with the spirit of the original Warner cartoons. Once the courtroom portions begin, the film loses a bit of gas, and becomes a bit more predictable and preachy. I would still recommend it, but would have to give the first part an A+ and the last half closer to a C+.

My other goal of the evening was to try the Night & Day Café located just across the street. This late-night hangout closes at 10pm on Thursday nights, and I sailed in at 9:30pm. Unlike many other restaurants in town, I did not get the death look. Instead I was warmly welcomed and immediately seated at the counter.

It’s a true authentic diner. Just take a look at the counter and the grill.

I will def do this on my next visit:

It’s a tad dark in here, but it fits perfectly with the vibe, which I would say is akin to the 1942 Edward Hopper painting, Nighthawks.


My Beef Chimichanga was DELICIOUS. The large portion will serve as my lunch today!

I will definitely be returning to both places; I love neighborhoods where you can have a perfect evening without driving all over, and that definitely describes Coronado Island.
See more Coronado Island photos at my main website.
No comments:
Post a Comment