Monday, March 11, 2024

Lou & Sue and Papel



One of the many pleasures from doing this blog is the connections that I have made over the years. Although I have yet to meet her, frequent reader/commenter Sue is a total joy. After reading last week’s post about Ruggles on Main Street, Sue shared a few pictures of a cherished souvenir in her possession.

Seeing these Flower Market pictures brings back wonderful memories! My parents and I loved shopping at the Park and at the Disneyland Hotel, in the 60s and 70s, as they carried unique items we didn’t see in the Chicagoland area, where we lived at the time. My mom purchased a number of those items (napkin holders, etc.) that you see on display in the Flower Market, for Christmas presents and birthday gifts. I do miss those days when Disneyland carried lots of fun items, with each shop carrying things you didn’t see in all the other Disneyland stores, unlike today where it’s quite predictable that you’ll find a lot of the same pins, mugs, key chains, T-shirts, and stuffed animals in most every store.  Thanks, Dave, for this trip down Memory Lane!



Thank YOU Sue for sharing these very cool photos! I found this blurb on giftshopmag.com about Phil:

Established in 1955 by founder and industry icon, Phil Papel, the company’s roots were on Main Street, Disneyland (Anaheim, California) as a retail shop known as Ruggles China & Gifts. The company quickly grew to a successful retail chain of more than 20 stores in Southern California, and established a wholesale division called Phil Papel Imports. This wholesale division was sold to Russ Berrie in 1987, and in 2000 to Cast Art Industries.

The vintage images below are from my collection and show not only the artificial flowers you could buy at the Disneyland Flower Market on Main Street, but the other decorative items available that would have made a nifty gift for anyone’s home. Circa 1960s-70s, of course! From 1969:



This closeup view shows the yummy vinyl grapes (hard on the tummy, though) and a variety of  miniature glass potted “plants,” similar to what Sue shared.



From 1974: 



Anyone need a macrame owl wall hanging?



These gigantic ladybugs are sure to spruce up your yard; or are they fly swatters? I can’t tell.



From March 1975:



The first thing that caught my eye was the vintage Japan Air Lines bag.



Fairly easy to find on ebay!



I remember this vintage Disneyland shopping bag!



Back to the topic at hand…more of the miniature flower pots!



July 1977:



There’s a surplus in this shot! And are those glass mushrooms on the shelf?



The owl is still for sale. I wonder if he ever found a home?



I do like these wrought iron candle holders. Hopefully they’ll still be around at the end of the day. I guess that’s what the lockers on Main Street were for!



By April 1979, the Flower Market moved from West Center Street to East Center Street:



The flower pots made the transition!



Want a Phil Papel piece of your very own? There are plenty on ebay!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Sue for inspiring this follow-up post!
  
See more Disneyland Flower Market photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Fifthrider said...

Likewise, thank you Sue and Dave for sharing. I have a new appreciation for those things now.

"Lou and Sue" said...

Thank you for the nice comments!

It's interesting to see that the Papel name carried on at Disneyland, for years after Ruggles China & Gifts changed hands. I've been doing some research regarding some of these items that you see in your Flower Market pictures; it appears some of these items also sold under different names (probably depending on who "wholesaled" them, and where they were sold in the country). (Maybe some of your readers know more about this, and can add some information, here-??) I plan to put together a few more related pictures and items to post, in the near future. Stay tuned.

I should also mention that this flower pot souvenir is actually made of lucite [per what I've read], though it does look like glass - and is just as fragile.

Also, regarding the infamous "doll lamp" in your Ruggles post, I have a little information and photos to share, too. Again, stay tuned.

Thanks for letting me share....

Sue