Thursday, March 10, 2022

Blue Monorail-Mania



The Red Monorail at Disneyland is the one most often seen in vintage images, but the Blue one has always been my favorite. Something ultra sleek about its blue/silver color combo that really hits the spot for me. This October 1961 is postcard perfect as the Monorail cruises by the Matterhorn, The Yacht Bar, and over the Submarine Voyage attraction. I dig that bubble top, too.



Look at the positively low-tech stroller and Disneyland wheelchair in the lower right:



Last one from the same October 1961 batch shows the Monorail cruising over the Parking lot. Any vintage auto enthusiasts care to identify these retro classics?



See more Disneyland Monorail photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Darryl said...

Being a vintage car expert I can state, without question, the cars in the picture are a green one and a red and white one, some sort of ugly orange/salmon colored one and a few white ones. So...there you go.

Fifthrider said...

I can identify those cars by "annual cost of repair" based on 1959 dollars.

Salmon - $200
Red and White - $500
Green - $150
White - Not worth repairing

Fifthrider said...

Totally agreed, the color blue resides within the futuristic image of tomorrow. I have to assume red was just a more photogenic contrast, and that yellow ( or gold ) wasn't a contrast enough. I'm always grateful when I see any Mark I-III monorail, that bubble was iconic.

Daveland said...

Darryl & Bryan - You two definitely gave me a chuckle! Thanks!

Nanook said...

A little late to the party - and it's hard to top the spot-on car identifications so far, but...

That salmon baby seems to be a 1953 Ford; the red/white - a 1957 Ford; the two-tone green - a 1951 Chevrolet; and the white beauty - a 1955 Mercury Montclair. On the left, the white one underneath the watermark is a 1961 Ford Galaxie; and just beyond it is a 1960 or 1961 Plymouth Valiant station wagon. None of them can even begin to hold a candle to the sleek Monorail, sailing-by overhead.