Thursday, February 17, 2022

Margaritaville Makeover



Typically when I pull into Palm Springs, I enjoy seeing the Riviera Resort and Spa which dates back to 1958. The entrance had a 1960’s Rat Pack vibe that made you feel like you were stepping back in time and experiencing a bygone era of music, style, and attitude. Imagine my shock during my most recent visit when I drove by and saw this sign:



Margaritaville? In Palm Springs? Did I hit the gas pedal too hard and accidentally end up in Key West, circa 1990?!? Sadly, I was still in 2022 and the (now) cheap-looking structure I had driven by that was once the glorious Riviera Hotel had been revamped as the Margaritaville Resort. I parked the car and decided to poke around.



The Lobby area before:



After, a somewhat subtle change:



…other than the parrots. Just in case you forgot you were in Margaritaville.



Before #1, when the place had more of a Vegas/Rat Pack vibe:



Before #2 (a later remodel):



After:



The restaurant has also been re-themed to fit the Jimmy Buffet motif:



Fun little sayings have been sprinkled throughout the hallways:



Changes in more than just latitude:



I would hesitate to call this a resort without adding in the term “family.” The hotel was much more noisy, had more kids screaming, and definitely had more of a budget feel. I guess the positive is that the hotel, which has struggled financially through the years, is still around.

See more Riviera and Margaritaville Resort photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Fifthrider said...

It's unfortunate to lose a cool resort with that 1960s Rat Pack vibe. I will admit that Jimmy Buffett establishments tend to have a pretty good reputation all around. Also, I'm a big fan of blue and green as a color scheme together. It's kind of interesting that they kept some of those chairs from the lobbies and just reupholster them instead of completely replacing them. I do however favor those red chairs in the "before" picture because they look like they would accommodate you in whatever position you want to sit. The chairs in those lower two after pics imply "No, you will sit like this and you will like it. No arguments."

Anonymous said...

Always sad when a favorite spot changes for the worse, even if only marginally.

I don't like uncomfortable chairs, even if they look good.

Thanks for the info, Dave.

JG

Anonymous said...

Perhaps years from now it will revert to the original to be trendy again. But, considering the property was financially challenged...the alternative could have been worse...like a strip mall. KS

Daveland said...

Margaritaville Resorts seem fine, but just don’t really belong in Palm Springs. Totally different vibe. The biggest negative about this resort is its location. Not quite close enough for a safe walk to the vibrant downtown area, which means you need to get in your car to go a short distance.

KS: I'd say if Margaritaville bombs, you might see a parking lot or a strip mall here next!

Nanook said...

Well, at least it's still there in some form. I still have my memories (and a few photos) from the early '60's. Progress-?? Sigh.