Monday, June 03, 2019

Serendipity at Palm Canyon



Serendipity showed its face again for me last week on a chance trip to Palm Canyon in Palm Springs. In town for a Conference site visit, we were being driven around town by the hotel Associate Director of Sales. Knowing that we were photo geeks, he decided to take us to Palm Canyon. As I snapped away I kept thinking what a beautiful spot…and yet it looked familiar, too. And then it dawned on me...this is where my parents honeymooned back in 1956. I had scanned their slides years ago and thanks to my good memory, they stuck in my brain as well. Compare 2019 (above) vs. 1956 (below):



Here’s Mom all decked out, ready for hiking. Well…according to her, she said she didn’t think that they did a lot of hiking, which would make sense considering what the two of them were wearing.



Dad in front of the sign:



Want a closer look?



I definitely prefer the look of the vintage sign!



I plan on returning in the very near future to see what I can do as far as getting better comparison shots. Stay tuned…

See more Palm Canyon photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Fifthrider said...

Nice to see how much it has NOT changed. ...signage not withstanding.

JG said...

Dave, this is fun to see.

I visited Palm Canyon with my parents in the '60's. Recall it much as shown here.

Looking forward to more photos.

JG