Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Temple Tuesday: Rita to the Rescue!



The above photo shows Shirley Temple receiving her Rose Parade Grand Marshal ribbon from Tournament of Roses Chairman Lathrop K. Leishman, November 21, 1938. Shirley was to preside over the annual parade on the morning of January 2, 1939.



Seeing the flagstone flooring, in these images, I thought perhaps they were taken on the porch of her Brentwood home, seen below.



The style of door just didn’t line up with any of my photos, so I did what anyone would do. I reached out to the #1 Shirley Temple expert, author and designer Rita Dubas.



She quickly responded and let me know that these were taken at Shirley’s 20th Century-Fox Bungalow. Not long after she filled me in, I acquired the photo below, which expands the view to include the fence.



Yes! A match! Now it all makes sense. Below we see Shirley getting ready to film “Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm” (1938), leaving her Bungalow hand-in-hand with studio tutor Frances Klamt.



Below, at her bungalow again, this time between takes for “Just Around the Corner” (1938).



An overall view of the bungalow then…



and sadly how it looked when I saw it in person a few years ago.



Thanks as always, Rita! Another Shirley mystery solved.

See more Shirley Temple photos at my main website.

No comments: