Thursday, February 08, 2024

Is That All There Is? DCA 23rd Anniversary



I had the opportunity to visit Disney California Adventure on May 18, 2001, just a few months after it opened (hard to believe it’s been 23 years!). I was part of a behind-the-scenes tour of all the dining facilities that were part of the Disneyland Resort second gate. One of the dining managers in my department was friends with Mary Nivens, who was Senior VP at the Disneyland Resort at the time, thus our tour. What did I think about DCA? As soon as the tour was over, I went home. I didn’t ride a single attraction nor did I take any photos. If you know me, that speaks volumes. I kept thinking of the Peggy Lee song, “Is That All There Is?”

It wasn’t until April 2002 that I returned with camera in hand and began to document the second gate. True to Walt’s quote about change, none of what you see in these photos remains at DCA today. Below, you can see the stationary California Zephyr, on of my favorite aspects (designwise) of the new Park.



Because of their ownership by Disney, there was significant cross-promotion going on for ABC programs, especially the soap operas.



One of the restaurants at DCA was titled, “Soap Opera Bistro,” featuring themed dining areas based on the sets from your favorite ABC soap operas.



These tile murals at the entrance were gorgeous.



An overhead view showing the first incarnation of Paradise Pier, before Pixar took over.



These imposing elephants at the Hollywood Pictures Backlot were an homage to the ones used in D.W. Griffith’s silent epic, “Intolerance” (1916).



Whoopi Goldberg in DCA? That’s right. Where the Little Mermaid attraction now resides, guests once entered a theatre to watch a film entitled “Golden Dreams,” starring Whoopi as Calafia, the Queen of California. She lost her thrown when the theater was torn down for Ariel in July 2009.



Was there ever a need for Fastpass for It’s Tough To Be A Bug!?!



Over at the Hyperion Theatre, a Reader’s Digest version of the Broadway show Blast! was playing.



In 2004, I returned for my birthday and posed with Minnie in the Condor Flats area.



The Tower of Terror was the first big draw to be added to the Park in 2004, followed by Monsters, Inc. This aerial view is from August 2006.



In other news, I just realized that DCA, James Dean, and Lana Turner also share the same “birthday.”





See more Disney California Adventure photos at my main website.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those first years, many felt that the old Parking Lot was a more thrilling attraction by just riding the tram and anticipating a day at Disneyland itself! KS

Fifthrider said...

Back in 2001-2002 I was doing standup at the Comedy Store in La Jolla. the one set I had that killed was about DCA. Their failure was fodder for my greatest act. Much like Dave's lack of interest in taking pics, this also spoke volumes about what DCA was. Yes, the tile murals were well done, but disjointed and out of place. When a park can't afford to make a façade, they draw a crayola picture of what it would have looked like, had they sprung for the budget. Although rudimentary by comparison, the Tomorrowland Mary Blair murals were genius.

"Golden Dreams" was basically "How Whitey Hurts People" the movie. Very heavy on the racial injustice as if Chinese laborers were the only ones who died making bridges or mines. I felt like I'd been lectured about crimes I didn't commit. God bless Guy Fieri.

Nothing about DCA really gelled, and ultimately you left CA, went through the turnstyle and found yourself right back in CA again, but a cheaper version. Might as well go to the Santa Monica Pier and see a proper beach park.

Daveland said...

Bryan - You nailed it. I never understood why the Disney Corporation would put a theme park about California IN California. Huh? I could drive another 20 minutes and see the REAL Hollywood; not the cheap version. At least at WDW and EPCOT, you are visiting “lands” that are not accessible to all. The pencil pushers forgot that the success of Disneyland was being able to experience the fantasy and what was not tangible to the guest.