
I normally don’t get too affected by celebrity deaths, but Dolly Parton was an exception. She was one of a kind who could have inspired the phrase about breaking the mold. She could sing, write, and act, and had a personality that EVERYONE adored. Somehow, she also managed to keep her private life private, holding rude interviewers at bay with a witty quip and a smile. Despite patterning her look after the town tramp, she gave off a warm approachable vibe that made people feel as if they had known her for years. Another rare quality was her ability to be positive. ALL THE TIME. Instead of complaining about politics or griping about people, she did what one should: keep your mouth shut, be a good example, and do what is humanly possible and let the rest go. Too often the armchair critics just sit back and bitch about the state of affairs; not Dolly. She put her money where her mouth was and used it for good, creating libraries for kids, helping underprivileged neighborhoods, donating for medical research, and so many other worthwhile philanthropic efforts that have probably gone under the radar. When I was getting my haircut the other day, I was reminded that there was a Dolly Parton mural in Normal Heights, by Sharky and Hassler outside Avalon Tattoo. From the Earthly Excursions website:
Avalon Tattoo’s owner commissioned the mural because he viewed Dolly as the quintessential American success story. She was a performer who rose from poverty and humble beginnings, and remained incredibly generous, authentic, and relatable to ordinary people. He later added the eagle and stars himself as a personal tribute to her.

My first introduction to Dolly was in 1977 with her song, “Here You Come Again.” One of the rare Parton hits that she didn’t write herself, it still packed a wallop, as she conveyed the emotion of someone falling in love with the wrong kind of person but not being able to help herself. Who hasn’t gone through that?!? After that, “9 to 5” (1980) was her breakout first role in the movies, captivating audiences with her portrayal of the “dumb blonde” who was anything but dumb. Despite looking like the town tramp, Dolly was a smart businesswoman who was able to use street smarts to outwit the fools who couldn’t see beyond the stereotype.

I was fortunate enough to see Dolly perform in San Diego at Humphreys by the Bay, August 1, 2008. I was impressed that despite being tiny in height, she was still able to radiate her gigantic warm energy to the audience and make them feel like she was singing to each and every one of them.
On September 13, 2008, I was asked to be part of the Dollypop! exhibit at the World of Wonder storefront gallery on Hollywood Boulevard. I LOVED being part of these popup gallery exhibits, which typically consisted of an email, “Hey, we have an exhibit coming up about _____; want to be part of it?”

I created this 3' x 3' painting using images from the fantasty/revenge sequences of “9 to 5.” It hangs in my office to this day; entertaining serious offers if anyone is interested.

Me on the left, looking appropriately dorky at the exhibit with co-curator Steven Corfe (right) and my friend Gene (center):

Marc Malkin was the other curator:

Although Dolly didn’t attend, there was an impersonator:

The other painting I created for the exhibit was “Dolly of the Caribbean,” creating a mashup of two of my favorite things. 24" x 36", I think I still have this…but haven’t located it yet. If I still have it, I might retool it a bit before offering it for sale.

Dolly left many amazing projects behind to still be carried out. Most importantly, I hope her legacy of laughter, positivity, and ability to get good things done can continue to inspire others. It would be almost too easy to ask oneself, “What would Dolly do?”
See more Normal Heights/Adams Avenue photos at my main website.
No comments:
Post a Comment