
I semi-regularly check back to the Village Theater in Coronado to see what’s playing; my positive experiences at this place have gotten me back to the theater after years of rarely going to the movies in person. Just the thought of driving to a mall and navigating the mall multi-plex parking lots is enough of a deterrent to keep me away. Not so at The Village. This time, the drawing card was “Coyote vs. Acme,” a film with a stormy background that almost didn’t see the light of day.

On a side note, the popcorn is good, too, served by a very friendly staff member. The medium size would be large enough for two.

The Village has three separate screens. This time, I was able to experience #3. Like the other two, it feels magical, with murals of Balboa Park, deco styling, and CLEAN!


The movie: apparently, after it was completed, Warner decided to shelve it and use it as a tax write-off. Three years later, it finally hit the big screen. I have no idea why this film would have been buried, although usually in Hollywood at the big studios it comes down to money. I have heard it described as a cross between “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” and “Erin Brockovich,” and I would say that’s a very good description. Pretty much all the Looney Tune characters are on hand, and I found myself laughing out loud frequently in the first half of the film. The situations in that portion are creative, well-written, and keep in line with the spirit of the original Warner cartoons. Once the courtroom portions begin, the film loses a bit of gas, and becomes a bit more predictable and preachy. I would still recommend it, but would have to give the first part an A+ and the last half closer to a C+.

My other goal of the evening was to try the Night & Day Café located just across the street. This late-night hangout closes at 10pm on Thursday nights, and I sailed in at 9:30pm. Unlike many other restaurants in town, I did not get the death look. Instead I was warmly welcomed and immediately seated at the counter.

It’s a true authentic diner. Just take a look at the counter and the grill.

I will def do this on my next visit:

It’s a tad dark in here, but it fits perfectly with the vibe, which I would say is akin to the 1942 Edward Hopper painting, Nighthawks.


My Beef Chimichanga was DELICIOUS. The large portion will serve as my lunch today!

I will definitely be returning to both places; I love neighborhoods where you can have a perfect evening without driving all over, and that definitely describes Coronado Island.
See more Coronado Island photos at my main website.
3 comments:
Grateful for the review. As it happens, I'm heading there today to see that exact movie. At least now I know not to expect to much out of the third act.
Now I understand the difference between Theater 1, and Theaters 2 and 3. Wow. I've never seen anything like those before. I've seen larger home theaters in some RSF residences. Despite that, the decor is beyond anyone else in the county. Those seats though...
What did you think of the film?
Post a Comment