Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Market House Interior, 1962



Another one that pretty much caused me to crap my pants when I saw it. You just don't see vintage interior shots of Disneyland, due to the inability of most cameras of the day to get a decent photo without using a flash. Anyone remember those annoying flash bulbs? I digress. Love the interior signage, but especially digging this young man in the hat. He is too cool for school.



A few years back the charming turn of the century interior made way for Starbucks. Gotta' have a good cup of Joe when you're taking the family to the Park.



More Market House photos at my main website.

Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr & Instagram.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, what a great photo of that interior. Thank you, Dave!

I remember sitting in those chairs inside the rail around the pot-bellied stove. I could even have been the kid in the hat (but not). I remember my parents talking about how familiar it all seemed to them, except for the rail.

It was sad to lose this to Starbucks, even though I am a Starbucks fan and they have definitely improved the coffee available in the Park. I wish there had been another way.

JG

Chuck said...

One of my favorite corners of the Park (in a Park filled with favorite corners). Played checkers with my sons and had fun with the telephones there. It's unfortunate that another location couldn't have been found for the Starbuck's; the set dressings really added a feeling of turn-of-the-century, small-town authenticity.

Anonymous said...

I have memories of that stove being in use on one cold evening. It was a great place to lounge. The character and ambiance were fitting for a Main Street USA...not a Starbucks. The close up verifies another long held memory...some of the best dill pickles I've ever tried came from there. You could pull them right out of brine barrel back then. A great find! KS

Major Pepperidge said...

In the closeup of the kid with the hat, you can see a stack of boxes of "toilet soap" - I have four boxes of that soap! Very neat to see it for sale in the shop.