Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Inside The House of the Future



Let's journey back to August 1965 for an inside tour of the Monsanto House of the Future at Disneyland. Our tour guide is waiting for us at the door.



These shots were taken only a few years before this large plastic behemoth was removed from the Park.



This print is pretty cool; I wonder what happened to it and who the artist was?



The sun was really streaming in and casts some interesting shadows on the living room.



While the outside looked sterile, I really do like the interiors. They feel warm and comfortable.



I can't quite make out what was playing on the TV.



Here's where the folks of the future would eat dinner.



Think you might be happy living in a home like this?

More Disneyland Monsanto House of the Future at my main website.

10 comments:

stu29573 said...

You know, with the new "tiny house" craze, coupled with love for all things "mid century modern?" I can see this as the next big thing!

Fifthrider said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fifthrider said...

I love how utilitarian it is. There's very few frills, it just cuts to the point and provides an item where you need an item to be.

Unknown said...

Ah, Dave. Thanks so much. The further back in time one goes the fewer interior shots of anything at Disneyland become. These are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I remember being inside on a visit, but can't recall any details. These photos are splendid, but they don't ring any bells.

It looks like the inside of the exterior walls follow the curve of the exterior. How do you hang a picture? LOL

JG

K. Martinez said...

Today's post brings to my mind Jacques Tati's "Mon Oncle" which featured a house full of technical gadgets and modern design. Wonderful and funny movie!

I vaguely remember going into the House of the Future with my parents, but I do remember bits of it.

I like the tour guide's outfit.

As much as I love the style of the interiors, I'm not sure I'd be happy living in it. The furniture looks uncomfortable and I'd probably junk it up with my own personal touch over time

Wonderful walk down foggy memory lane. Thanks, Dave.

Darryl said...

Funny the house of the FUTURE only has a black & white TV...come on Walt!...where's the LED/plasma flat screens? And what's that odd wire thing sticking up from it?...maybe this was foretelling of a new revolutionary type of entertainment...FREE TV channels seemingly out of thin air!...nah, will never happen...

Rob from Portland said...

I'd bet that peacock pics is by Mary Blair.

Rob from Portland said...

I'd bet that peacock pics is by Mary Blair.

Chuck said...

I think that TV is showing a Formula One or Indycar race.